Chapter 18

• Dedicated to Aison Goh

Chapter 18

The chrome finish of the Gulfstream 8 gleamed in the sunlight as it’s hydrogen powered twin Rolls Royce engines pushed it pass Mach 6. The plane was at a steady altitude of 60000 feet, well beyond any turbulence zones.

However, in the plush cabin, I could feel the tension. Everyone was silent, safely buckled into their leather seats, refusing to let themselves fall asleep. I couldn’t blame them, after what they have witnessed. I can only blame myself for not warning them before hand.

Emma’s face, seem to age as the chain of horrific events took their toll on her. She stared out the window, looking absorbed in her own thoughts. I could tell the world didn’t exist to her now, her own brain was protecting her.

A slight bump of the plane, made me tear my gaze away from her, making me aware of Jaden’s presence. He stared at me, but his eyes were empty, absent as he channelled most of his energy on creating a ‘fore field’ around the plane to avoid any ‘mystical’ attack at 600000 feet above the ground.

Closing my eyes too, I focused, sensing for intruding auras but all seems clear. Being sure, we’ll be safe, for now, I heaved a sigh and attempt to rest.

Once i did, the previous hours of events came flooding my mind.

Flashback...

“Hey Dustin, funny thing, Jaden here forgot where’s the floor to our-“ she stopped short as the scene in front of her came to her attention. I wanted to go over to her, and pull her into a tight hug, shielding her away from the horrible image but I couldn’t...i just stood. Stood as she collapsed to the floor, sobbing.

“God help us.” Jaden mumbled, he too, unable to make of what he’s seeing.

Lucifer’s face was one of shock, unmoving, his eyes lifeless. The skin around where the stake, was starting to peel. Smell of death wafted around the huge wing. It was then I felt an emotion, which was a stranger to vampires. Fear.

Seeing as everyone was too shocked to move, I was the first one to recover and rushed over to Emma in a blur, embracing and shielding her from the gore. We didn’t speak. Not like we’re able to but the silence brought a slight calm.

This was ruined just seconds later by Adrain and Savarin’s entrance. At first they were confused upon seeing three of us on the ground, but then, reality dawned as they saw the mangled body pinned to the wall.

In that one moment, the Adrain I knew who has dealt with multiple instances of death evaporated. His usually unbreakable façade crumbled and he was too left dumbfounded of what to do. However, Savarin who was seemingly unaffected, pulled him to a corner, no doubt telling him some military style evacuation plan or something.

When he came back, he just stared at me with a stern look and motioned for me to get the hell out of the place. So, I did.

“Hold on.” I told Emma as I piggybacked her while I tugged on Jaden’s arm to follow suit. He didn’t hesitate, and trailed behind robotically as we approached the elevator.

We knew in that silent hall, that someone has penetrated the halls of one of the world’s toughest security fortresses and that if we don’t leave, we’ll be invited to death. I didn’t know how but I could tell by the dark aura radiating off Lucifer’s corpse that this was done remotely. The demons are rising.

Adrain was doubtful at first, but an ally of his reported back that mysterious killings around the world has increased two folds and it carried the tell tale signs of demon possession where victims eyes were dazed and skin turning a deathly ash black. It was a horrendous sight to see.