Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Tears and sweat flooded my eyes, blurring my vision as i tried my best to navigate through burning carnage. Now, a normal person would evacuate the place by now but normal people don’t have a best friend that’s possibly trapped in this abnormally large suite that blew up itself.

For the pass 10 minutes, i didn’t knew where i was heading, but it didn’t matter as I reached out instinctively, brushing away burning hanging material and covering my mouth from shrouds of smoke that is literally choking me to death.

“Emma! We need to get out of here!” i heard Dustin shout over the cracking of fire as i advanced forward. Fire kind of render a vampire useless to so thus the reason, he hasn’t grabbed me and flit me out of here.

The only motive on my mind right now is to find Jaden.

My heartbeat was erratic as thoughts of the possibility of him passed out in some part of the penthouse suite we’re in. Fire and smoke was all the things that saw, the furniture and other ornaments of the room seem to just vanish under all the flames.

I didn’t know what was making me push myself further into the scalding heat of the flames but I felt as if my mind was in no mean, in control of itself. It has cleared itself of all thoughts but one.

I tried to regain my common sense as I mentally fought the invisible force that was making me delirious. “Emma! The whole place is going to come down any second! We need to evacuate!” Dustin continued his useless plea. Somehow, he was making sense, it was just the fact that, my brain couldn’t contemplate what he said.

Then, it sort of hit me.

Someone, and I don’t know who, was mentally affecting me, making my brain oblivious to its own functions. As my feet went on, I felt my skin getting slowly cooked by the fire that was licking, and caressing my skin.

I fought hard, trying to clear the mist that was shrouding my ability to think on my own, I wasn’t going down that easily. Ever slowly, my own mentality won and the external tugging in my mind creeped away each second.

Just then, I stopped dead in my tracks. Debris fell around me, just missing by inches. Somehow, that didn’t matter as I saw Jaden, in the flames, body weirdly unaffected by the fire. What’s even more orthodox is the fact that, he had a smile plastered on his face, his eyes gleaming brightly at me.

“Come to me, Emma.” his voice seem to echo through my mind and just then, my feet once again, started to work on his own, my fight with the possessive force dwindling more and more. “That’s it.”

As I was about to manoeuvre my way around a burning piece of reinforced wood, I was pulled back abruptly by a pair of strong arms. I jolted and turned around and saw that Dustin was glaring down at me bearing his fangs as his grip tightened on me.

The next few sentences came and went without me even knowing it. “Dustin, what are you doing! Let go of me! Can’t you see that Jaden is there?!”

That didn’t seem to affect him, as he effortlessly pulled me backwards, farther away from Jaden. By the time he started pulling me, I was thrashing furiously, unaware that I was literally screaming like a madwoman at Dustin to let me go. I swear, I wasn’t even aware that  I was doing anything at all.

I was caged. In my own mind.

As I felt my thrashing getting worser, Dustin turned around, grabbed both my shoulders and soon he was just inches from me. His eyes boring into mine. “Snap out of it, Emma. I command you.” was all he said before I felt another presence in  my mind.

Just as it appeared, the other that was clearly disabling control of own body literally disintegrated and soon I felt the cage disappearing and I was back to my old self again. I blinked a few times and soon my own conscious took over.