Chapter 27 - Loch Ness Monster

Riley looked at me, completely lost of words after my previous confession. My heart was hammering in my chest, but surprisingly, my mate's heart seemed to have calmed down with me admitting what I was. It surprised me, but waiting for Riley's response, any response, was occupying my brain, making it impossible to point that out. Also, now adding that I could hear his heartbeat would probably make him run away from me, screaming for help and I couldn't even blame him. 

Riley was still shirtless, as was I and we were staring at each other, me apparently more nervous than him, who probably debated on how to not get killed right now. But I wouldn't hurt him! Ever! I would rather cut off my own leg than hurting my mate, except he didn't know that and now was maybe not the time to tell him about that part. I anxiously waited for his response and now it had been too long for Riley to just completely freak out, yelling in fear and sheer panic, right? 

"You know, I just thought I was going crazy. I thought, my brain had finally given in and now schizophrenia would be added to my long list of mental illnesses. But after what you just said, I realize that its not me who is crazy, its you" he said, very calmly and almost like he wanted to laugh, either of the absurdity of the situation or because that was his coping mechanism of not getting killed by the psycho guy in whose house he was, alone and at night. But what struck me more was...that apparently Riley didn't believe me. He rather thought I was crazy and that had affected him so that he didn't trust my words. 

"You don't believe me?" I asked, almost having to laugh as well, because yes, now this situation was absurd for me as well. I had feared any human ever finding out about our existence would bring panic and terror out in them, but especially with my mate I was afraid, that if he ever found out about me, he would just straight up freak out and run away, but now I realized that the hard part was actually convincing him that I was telling the truth! How truly absurd...But that was easier than calming a human that thought of you as a monster, a killer. 

"Uh noooo why- ho- you are hearing yourself, right? For real, has your family ever taken you to a therapist or something?" he asked and now I actually had to chuckle, shaking my head. 

"You want prove?" I asked almost daringly, because that was the easiest task ever, convincing a human of my specie's existence. Most of the time we were busy hiding exactly that, as did all the other supernatural creatures and if somebody ever found out, the high council dealt with them. Now that didn't apply to Riley, because as my mate he had a free pass on that rule. Riley crossed his arms in front of his chest, sitting up. 

"Ok wolf boy, what are you going to do? Howl at the moon? Run on all fours? You know I am beginning to regret ever having shown you Twilight, because had I known I was dating a mentally ill person, who thinks they are somebody else, I would have much rather showed you fifty shades of grey and had some fun while at it" he said, obviously not believing a word that had come out of my mouth. It was almost like he thought he was going to get pranked, not even believing anymore, that I was mentally ill, but making a joke. But one thing in his whole speech caught my attention.

"Dating?" I asked, my lips tugging into a smile and when Riley realized his slip up, he blushed, before shaking those feelings away, as his eyes narrowed on me and he nudged his head, daring me to just get back on the topic, since now was maybe not the time to put a label on it. "Come on Jakob the werewolf, are you going to bark at me?" he asked and I shook my head, nervous but also so amused. 

"I will do you one better" I said, lowering my head, as I had to take a moment to concentrate and actually cherish this last moments where Riley wasn't afraid and still a sceptic. I let my fangs extend, as I took a deep breath, before lifting my head and opening my mouth, showing Riley what I normally only presented to my prey or people that were on my bad side and I wanted to make myself very clear, how this would end if they would stay there.