Chapter 38 - Kings speech

"Talk to me" I ordered the three that were standing in my office, while Riley nervously took his seat next to me. Normally, I wouldn't ask him to be here with me, alpha stuff could either be boring to the bone or very scary, neither one was something my mate should have to endure, but this was concerning him as well and he actually wanted to be there for me and himself. Pax, Cecilia and Lynton sat down in their chairs, slightly looking nervous. 

"Well generally the first reaction was...shock. The word spread fairly quickly, I think in a couple of hours there wasn't a fucking pup who didn't know you finally found your mate and it was a he and a hybrid. And they were all very...surprised" Cecilia started, being the bravest of the three as she knew saying those words in front of Riley, her maybe soon to be luna, was something only a suicidal person would do. But it wouldn't be their fault if the reactions were bad, so I wouldn't blame them and Riley wouldn't either, we knew better than that. 

"As expected. Continue" I nodded, feeling Riley's nervous hand under the table rest on my knee to show his support, because if the pack would hate him, it would hurt him too, but not as much as it would hurt me. I grew up in this pack, I always knew it would one day be mine, he just recently found out that he even had this right as my mate and luna. And I was thankful he was there, because that just showed me, that no matter what happened, it would be ok, because I had him. Cecilia looked over to Pax, who hid behind his hand casually, and Lynton, who stared at the floor as if he had to analyze is shoes, fleeing her challenging gaze as well. 

"Oh for fucks sake guys! Ok, uh well, after the first shock settled in, there was some...anger. Not with all of them, but a few. Some were angry, because you hadn't told them you found your mate and they thought it was their business as well and some...mostly the older ones uh...were angry because Riley is a guy and they had never heard of that before...They think its not natural and you are confused and only believe that Riley is your mate, but he isn't and...uh...yeah" Cecilia said and I could hear her heart pounding from my seat. Yes, what I now felt was anger, frustration and sadness. But it wasn't like I was surprised. 

"Again, as expected. What about the others?" I asked, now gripping Riley's hand, not too harshly so he would get hurt, but enough to show, that I in fact was nervous and angry and just pretty overwhelmed with the situation, even if my face showed none of that like I had learned to do it years ago. Cecilia cleared her throat, changing her seating position and checking once again, if one of the boys wanted to help her, but they seemed pretty determined on basically disappearing. But really, I couldn't blame them. 

"Well, uh, some weren't even mad about the fact that Riley is, well, a guy, but that he is a hybrid and not fully a werewolf and stuff...I know, I know, as expected" Cecilia said, cutting me off just as I was about to open my mouth. Everybody fell quiet for a moment and I closed my eyes, taking deep breaths. So they wouldn't accept him...they didn't like him now and maybe my speech wouldn't change anything about it or maybe it would, but that was a hard task and I didn't know if what I had written down last night would be good enough for that task. 

"But it wasn't all bad!" Lynton interfered, coming to the rescue and making me lift my gaze, frowning. "Really?" I asked, now feeling very fucking hopeful. Maybe dangerously hopeful, but was there really such a thing. 

"Yes! I mean, Cecilia is right, especially the wolves over thirty have a hard time wrapping their heads around the news, but the younger ones, your warriors and selsas and omegas...the kids you went to school with or that graduated a bit before you...they are all pretty cool with it. They just wonder who this mysterious hybrid is, but...I even heard a warrior at the training say that he hoped his mate was a guy as well, because he always thought that way, but now that your mate...his luna, is a guy, h-he was hopeful, that that could actually happen...they are on your side Asher and you aren't alone" Lynton smiled.