Chapter 57 - Wolf things

"Thank you thank you thank you!" Pax repeated, throwing his arms around me and holding me close. I was a little startled by the impact my big beta's body had, but luckily I didn't fall over. I chuckled, but slowly, I let my arms snake around my best friend as well, as I held him close and I could just feel him tearing up out of happiness and relief I was hoping. The meeting had ended by now and some people were leaving, especially the ones who were apparently angry with my decision, but some stayed, probably wanting to have a talk with me and I would get to them. But later. Now, my best friend needed me. 

"Thank you so much" Pax said with a shaky voice, clinging onto me with everything he had and I held him as well, looking at Jasper, who seemed glad to see his mate this happy. And I was glad that Pax was happy too. Just because of this, I knew it had been worth it. I knew that signing this contract was the right thing to do, just to see him this happy. I mean, Pax was always happy, but not like this. Never like this. 

So I said "You deserve it." And I meant it. I didn't refer to me signing that contract, because I actually mostly did it for the pack, but it was his happiness I meant by what I said. After everything, after holding back with Jasper and even wanting to reject him, he deserved this. He deserved to be happy.

We pulled away and Pax had tears in his eyes, but before he could leap forward again, caging me for eternity, I nodded to Jasper, who stepped forward, reaching for Pax's hand and he gave it to his mate, now turning his overwhelmed gaze to him. Suddenly, I felt my mate hug my side, as we watched Jasper kissing Pax's cheek, where a tear had appeared and Pax was mumbling "Ah shit I hate crying. Oh fuck how do you make it stop?", to his mate, who could only chuckle. 

"You don't" Jasper said and at that, Pax's face scrunched into a crying one, as he threw one arm around his mate's neck and one around his back, pulling him close and Jasper returned the hug, gently holding my best friend and letting him calm down in his arms. "They look so happy...I don't think I have ever seen Pax like this" I said, as I let my fingers run over the soft skin on Riley's arm, that was hugging my stomach and he looked up at me, pressing a kiss to my shoulder. I could feel how proud and happy he was, that I had signed that contract and I was too to be honest. 

"Well, we certainly know know a thing or two about what its like to not be able to completely be with your mate...its horrible" Riley said and I glanced down at him, giving him a smile and my mate's hand found my cheek, signalling me to bend down a bit and so I did, kissing his rosy lips. The hall slowly emptied itself, as my people saw, that this was a private moment between mates and I had nothing more to say to them. I would call a meeting again soon, discussing the new rules and what this meant for training and all of that, but for now, I just wanted to bathe in my happiness a bit. 

"A-Alpha?" a man's voice called and I pulled away from Riley, looking down from the stage and there stood a man, maybe fifty, with his wife and kids, waiting for me to talk to them. Oh god, if they wanted to say what a coward I was and that my father would be ashamed of me if he could see me, now was really not a good time to spoil the fun. I was just having such a good time, but I knew I couldn't really send them away, now that I said and did this for my pack and wanted them to have a better life, which was true, but it also required for me to be an alpha that was close with his pack and that is why I detached myself from Riley, looking down at them. 

"Yes?" I asked, my tone a little intimidating, so that if they had to call me slurs, they knew I would not just endure that without fighting back. I had enough of people, like my uncle, thinking it was ok to call me a faggot or reduce me to what gender my mate was already, I didn't need more. And it wasn't like they should simply respect me because I was their alpha, no, they should respect me because I was a person, just like them and it was none of their concern who I was mated to, except if that person would be a serial killer or, like, this weird Twilight Jakob thing he had, which was being mated or whatever to a child. That should be concerning.