Chapter 48

New York usually had bad thunder showers in its history but this particular thunder shower was different, most people even consider it as the worst of the worst. Thunder rumbled across the horizon of the city and huge and bright lightning flashed across the sky, the storm scared people as they bustled in the street to reach safety. Troy on the other hand was in his apartment, he turned off all the lights and sat in complete darkness, only the TV gave off any real light. He had a glass of whisky in his hand that he took sips of everytime the urge came up, his long strands of hair covered most of his face as he watched the tv but he was not really paying attention.

Thunder and lightning sounded next to his window and he turned his head toward it and gave a huge sigh.

"I wonder what Hera did this time to piss off the big guy?". He joked darkly.

As he was about to take a sip from his drink, he heard the door open and then close. He knew from the footsteps who it was.

"Troy, are you there?". Diana's voice called,"Why is it so dark in here?".

"I'm in the living room, Diana". He said as he relaxed into the couch further.

He heard her walk in after a few minutes and listened to how her breathing was, it was even and calm.

"Why are the lights off?". She asked,"Did the storm take out the power?".

"No, I did". Troy said as he studied his glass,"Wanted to feel the presence of darkness again".

Diana winced internally at that. She never understood why he preferred the darkness more, he wasn't an evil person so why prefer the darkness?

"Why do you do that?".

"Do what?". He asked placing the glass down.

"Keep doing this. You always sit in the darkness and seem to prefer the darkness over the light". She asked.

"Oh, I do". He said,"But everytime I try to hold onto that light it fails me and I find myself crashing into the deepest depths of the abyss and I have to start from scratch again".

"You scare me sometimes". She said turning to head for the room.

"Celeste didn't seem to share that sentiment".

Diana came to a stop when she heard the name of his first wife, she turned and looked at him and saw that he hadn't moved and was still in the same position.

"What?".

"She used to hate me at first. She used to be royalty but when we took down her kingdom the Spartan King rewarded me by giving me her as my war bride, she hated me since that day but over time I was able to wear her down and she eventually fell in love with me. Over the course of that time she never showed any fear toward me. Why are you?".

" When you still had your family you were a lot different than what you are now". She said, walking toward the couch.

"You're right". Troy said with a light chuckle,"When I lost them, I started feeling emotions I never felt before, I started feeling things I've never felt before and that made me realize what I was about to become".

"What is this about, Troy?". Diana asked getting tired of beating around the bush.

"Oh, nothing". Troy said with a cool voice,"Just the idea of you and Supes being way more closer than usual".

Diana's heart skipped a beat. How did he know? Was he just guessing? How could he know?

"Troy, I........"

"Save it, Diana". Troy said as he got to his feet,"Your game can't revolve around me that long. I always find out".

"It was a mistake".