c h a p t e r. 29

"To be desired is perhaps the closest anybody in this life can reach to feeling immortal." -John Berger

chapter 29

While Castor continued to sleep, curled up on his lap, Jazz's parents came over to him and they began to talk about how his god and Axel got into the fight-- then switched to how the musician felt about Atlas and how he mistreats his boyfriend.

Which, of course, is not a good feeling and his papa didn't handle it too well but he also new he wasn't someone who had much authority over the situation but would also talk to Cas' parents, Micah and AJ, who he now found out that they used to be friends with when they were in high school.

Apparently they met at a beach and got together every so now and again.

Both of their dads thought their mothers were Goddesses.

But Castor's dad was a demon or something? He wasn't very sure the reasoning behind it, seeing as Micah was also a good person despite having rough edges.

If the celestial ever let him meet his parents-- which, well, he doubted-- he'd definitely try not to make himself a fool in front of the man. He was clumsy, tripped over his own words as much as his feet, was an oblivious idiot most of the time, couldn't really do much or protect people or even stand up for himself due to his anxiety and didn't know how to handle other people fighting.

He often felt like he didn't have much to offer.

He wondered why Cas even liked him-- what did he see in Jazz that made him feel what he does, that made him what to be with someone as... difficult to love as he is.

The god on his lap shuffles slightly, eyes shifting under closed lids and his hand coming up to push against his chest, mumbling out, "Jitterbug, orange."

That's all he says before yawning, green casting up and over him in a swirl of seafoam and chartreuse. He's better rested but still tired. It makes Jazz wonder how much sleep he got when they weren't together.

But they're here, together now, and it makes the musician blink down at Castor with a smile. He didn't understand why they were together, why the celestial liked him, but he was happy with it regardless.

"Can I get up?" Castor asks, and Jazz lets him. The god stretches slightly, moving to stand on the first row of seats, his height not allowing him to reach the upper containment sections.

"You really like him, don't you?" His Goddess mama asks, tilting her head up at him from her spot sitting halfway over her husband's lap. "I can tell-- you have t-that look in your eye."

"That look in my eye?"

"Yeah, he has the same one," Mama nudged his papa in his thigh, making him roll his eyes but not make a move to deny what she said.

Which wouldn't have mattered, even if he did. Everyone and their cousin knew Bar Red was a softie for his wife-- always had been, they were a beautiful couple. Even if it was gross seeing his parents kiss, he always found them admirable.

They were the perfect couple but just ew.

Although, they did give him a great example to base what love and romance and appreciation should look like. They were healthy, and Jazz always tried to find someone to be healthy with too.

That didn't stop him from getting trapped into a relationship with Keres.

But it also allowed him to get out, to know that Castor was someone he would like to spend the rest of his life with-- if the celestial could put up for and still like him at that point.