c h a p t e r. 35

"He has no need for faith who knows the uncreated, who has cut off rebirth, who has destroyed any opportunity for good or evil, and cast away all desire. He is indeed the ultimate man."

-Gautama Buddha

I'm so sorry guys that it's been a freaking month since I updated. Cherish, my sister who writes the other side of this story, got a lot of chapters popped out and it overwhelmed me because I was trying to stay caught up on other things, too. So it's my fault and I'm sorry. Honestly, you shouldn't have to wait this long :((

chapter 35 pt. 1

Christmas in the Red family has always been a rather humorous affair.

None of them-- a single one-- believed in the Christian God, for one, and for another their mama was a Pagan and the real celebration was Yule, the winter solstice, which they all participated in but only got really together on the twenty-fifth.

Even if none believed in the religion, they all still liked giving gifts to their loved ones.

And having gone off to his own university and with both his sisters in college and his family busy with their own life, this is the first time in a year or so he's gotten to be with all of them.

Plus he'd fully get to show off Castor to them.

So he was excited.

The god didn't share the excitement--never having really had a big Christmas growing up or one that was too important-- but that was okay, he was being all happy and energetic enough for the both of them.

It was early in the morning when Jazz dragged his god out of bed and happily made his way to his parent's cabin, Castor a baby bit grumpy because he didn't have the chance to get coffee but other than that it was an easy day so far.

Nyx and Damien were already there, softly talking to each other in the corner while Eris and Arabella laughed and played cards in the middle of the living room floor-- all four giving them a greeting.

Dela, since she was dating Lavender, spent Christmas with the Riddles and for a brief moment the musician wondered if her and Flynn got along well. Both were rather hyper in the morning.

Not his kind of smiley hyper but hyper-hyper where they talked non-stop and bounced all over the place.

Maybe his goddess mama had too much sugar when she was pregnant with him and his twin, because their older sisters surely aren't as excitable as them. Eh, probably. Clementine did have a sweet tooth.

Speaking of having a sweet tooth, his mama was making cookies, his papa-- being really, really bad at baking-- stayed out of her way but remained talking with her in the kitchen. They were always in sync, always two parts of the same whole, so it didn't shock Jazz at all when Castor noticed that, too.

Since he was a baker at heart, the god stayed in the kitchen a bit while the musician went to go bother his sister in the living room. It wasn't too long, though, that his boyfriend making his way towards him again, though.

"Jitterbug, where's the--" There's a deep grow and it makes him jump. "--cups?"

With wide eyes, Jazz turns to look at the celestial. His greens are a little darker, something stirring at the sides that he never saw before. Strange.

Ah, right, cups.

"Did Papa refuse to tell you?" Asking this, he remembers the hard time Bar gave Damien whenever the other grump would try to get something for himself as a newbie as 'it's the nice fucking thing to do' to make sure guests are taken care of.