c h a p t e r. 8

"You are damaged and broken and unhinged. But so are shooting stars and comets."
― Nikita Gill

Oml, guys. Me and my sister @whoscountinganyway were talking about the names we give our character, right??
And we were just laughing bc Cher is over there with normal-ish names like Castor and Micah and I like... give my characters names like Jasper-Alaric and Clementine???
and I named a bunch after fucking ROCKS????
That's not even mentioning the poor deed I did for Bar's full name with four middle names.

chapter 8

Jazz Red has a couple anomalies in his life.

One of them is centered around the celestial.

He isn't completely oblivious-- he knows how he feels, he knows what he wants, he knows how easy it is for him to go all blushy, and he knows that by how Cas acts, he likes him too (how can he not assume that after they kissed?), but he's scared.

Scared because-- well... scared because how long until that like, that interest, runs out?

What about when the celestial realizes that Jazz isn't... isn't this amazing, beautiful person he always compliments as? What about when he becomes too much instead of just enough? What about when he does something that's a little too scary, a little too rude, a little too stupid and Cas knows that this nice guy he has in mind isn't the complete truth?

What happens then?

So, he's oblivious, yes, he doesn't always catch when he's being flirted with or understand dirty comments in time or even catch when he's being checked out but he understands enough.

He understands that he's only a man.

He understands that, often enough, godly beings like the celestial don't fall for men like him.

He understands that, despite all that, despite his fear, he's hoping for a future.

Because he isn't even twenty yet, he isn't experienced in the dance of love or life and he doesn't have a fucking clue what to do most days or the proper way to act but--

But he knows that him and Cas, well, they just make sense together.

They make sense in a world that is constantly shifting around Jazz, throwing him off of his feet and making him try to process everything all at once. They make sense in a life that so far has never made any sense to him.

Which, in a way, is why Jazz is so nervous about Cas meeting his siblings; there's no way he can pretend to be weaker, pretend not to be as intimidating as he is, pretend that he doesn't have everything figured out, around them.

But, well, there's nothing he can do about the nervousness now because he's parked at the bus stop and he can see all three of his sisters with Damien-- Nyx probably needed the emotional support if she's going to be trapped in a moving vehicle for an hour, having really bad trauma with cars and such-- and Dela is getting shoved by and shoving Axel, the oldest D'Silvetta kid that Jazz didn't know was going to be there, making their way towards his 1969 Corvette, it's name is Midnight and he got it from his papa.

"Hey, Jitterbug," Cas says, gray eyes locked onto the musician's siblings. "I don't think you know how to count."

"Uh," Jazz tilts his head, confused as he meets the celestial's eyes. "Why?"

"You said three," He gestures towards the small group, head jerking in a tic and a growl leaving his lips. "That's five."

"Oh! But only three are my siblings," Jazz smiles sheepishly. "I misunderstood the question, sorry."