The Funeral

(This chapter is partially inspired by Grown Ups).

I was talking to Julie in the hallway. Recently, Tiffany had been to busy with figure skating so I never got many chances talking with her. The skaters and her got pretty close over time. Even Kristin. *gags*

"It's a shame that Hans passed." I said to Julie as we walked to music.

"You know Hans, too?" She asked.

"Yeah, he was like a father to my father and my uncle. He really did take care of everyone, didn't he?" I sighed.

"Are you going to the funeral after school."

"Yeah."

"I guess I will see you there."

After school, I went to my moms house to get ready. My dad and his GiRLfRiEnd will meet us there.

"Where is Skeeter?" I asked my mom.

"He will be here soon, hopefully. Unless he wants to walk to the funeral alone."

My brother barged in through the kitchen door and ran upstairs. "I'm so sorry i'm late! I forgot it was today."

"That's all right hun. Just get ready quickly." My mom said.

"And guys, your uncle Carman will be there. I understand that he is a little—weird, but please don't joke around at the funeral." Our mom explained. "It's just not the right place or time."

Skeeter and I nodded.

We get the the funeral at I automatically recognize some of the people. All the ducks were there. We were at the church for the ceremony then we would go to the cemetery afterwards. After that, we would have a dinner. I never understood why people ate after a funeral but I guess that's part of the circle of life. In the church, the organ was playing while everyone was arriving and choosing their seats.

"You two can sit with your father, if you'd like." Our mother said as we walked in.

Skeeter and I looked at our uncle, our grandmother, our father then his girlfriend and her little slimy child.

"We'll sit with you."

My mom walked up to a pew and waited for my brother and I to sit down before she did. I walked down the pew and saw Adam Banks was next to me and Julie was in front of me.

I tapped Julie on the shoulder to wave at her and gave Adam a weak smile. He gave one back in exchange.

The priest ordered for us to be seated so we all sat down. I then hear my grandmother talking loudly to Teagan.

"Oops, I accidentally sat and broke on your addin' machine." She said to Teagan.

"It's a gameboy." He retorted.

"I guess that explains the fish tank." I say quietly to no one in particular.

Julie and Adam quietly chuckled as my mom reached over to slap me to make me shut up. The priest began to talk about Hans and how great of a man he was. Which he was. But after he was done speaking, it was my father's turn to go up and speak.

My father approached the front of the closed casket, hesitantly. It was clear that he was nervous. He always did when he had to speak in front of people.

"Originally, Gordon Bombay and I were supposed to speak about Hans together. Unfortunately, He won't be here till later this evening." He the cleared his throat.

"Hans was a father, a friend, a teacher, a therapist. He was overall an incredible man. He was like my own father. He was like my brother's father." His eyes teared up.

"Hans was the wisest man I've ever known. He always knew what to say. Without him, i'd probably never know about the world of hockey. Perhaps my joints don't allow me to play, but I have children of my own that can take hockey with them as they get older."

Skeeter and I smiled at him. "I-I actually feel terrible that I never got to see him very often. He always invited the kids and I over but we were all just so busy. I was busy with work, they were busy with whatever teenagers do nowadays. Anyways, Hans practically raised me. Gordon Bombay and I would work in his shop together and mess around. Just the normal teenage boy things." He chuckled.

"I don't want to take up too much time, but umm, Hans was overall a great mentor to us all. To his friends, his family, Bombay's ducks." He said looking to each duck. "And to myself and my children." He made eye contact with Skeeter and I.

"So, let's bow our heads for a moment of silence." Everyone bowed their heads in honor of Hans for a few minutes.

Later that service, it was my uncles time to shine. He singing some dumb opera song. Everyone in every pew was trying to hold in their laughter.

Skeeter, Julie, Adam and I were dying as our parents got mad at us for being disrespectful.
"Skeeter, Bridget. Stop it." My mom scolded as her stern face slowly faded to a little smirk.

"Julie, ten bucks he gets down on one knee." I whispered to Julie.

"Bet. They should've let your father speak and end it right there." She responded.

Uncle Carman continued to sing for a few seconds longer and right at the end he got down on one knee.

"No!" Julie giggled handing me ten bucks. I was getting second hand embarrassment for my uncle but it was funny as hell.

Right once Uncle Carman finished his song, Skeeter loudly imitated a the sound of the buzzer at the end of a hockey game.

In sync, Adam, Julie, and I shoved our heads into our hands dying of laughter. Everyone burst out laughing while my mom gave us a death glare.

"Skeeter, Bridget!" My mom scolded.

"I'm praying, mom. Give me a minute." I lied. Adam and Julie laughed even harder after I said that.

After the ceremony, everyone went to the cemetery so they can lower Hans down into the ground.

I felt really bad for Charlie since everyone knew he was so close to Hans. The jokes died down and it was now serious. Everyone said their prayers and right before the priest could speak, he was then stopped by coach Bombay holding a ducks jersey that had Hans' name on the back and put it on the casket.

"Every time you touch the ice, remember is was Hans who taught us how to fly." Coach Bombay said.

Those words hit me very hard. I may have been cracking jokes the whole time I was here but I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. It's just I hate being around such sad people. I had to cheer people up somehow and I couldn't just have them be sad the whole time we were here.

We had to be grateful that we were blessed with the presence of this wise man. But like with all great things, it must always come to an end.

This was the moment of the funeral where it finally clicked with me. Hans death finally sinked in. Tears welled in my eyes but I held them back for my father. I had to stay strong for him.