Perfection

Lyle and Larrisa. The iconic boyfriend and girlfriend skater duo. Their chemistry on the ice was what brought them to their success.

Larrisa was from St. Petersburgs Russia and moved to Michigan and continued her figure skating career there. She was partnered with Lyle, a boy from Toronto, when they were both 21 years old.

Instantly the two felt a spark and they instantly were known for their obvious love in their routines. They eventually got married at 25 and had a daughter at 26. They quit skating shortly after and now own this business where they sell Figure skating equipment ranging from blades to dresses. They make some bank.

Their only daughter. Phenomenal figure skater by the age of 4. Perfect posture. Perfect stance. Perfect balance. Graceful and passionate. All came naturally to her of course. Naturally talented in those skills. Or so the family says. It could be also because she was raised by some of the best figure skaters in the state.

14 years old. Their daughter preps for one of her biggest competitions.

"Even winning this competition, I just don't think it would even be enough." Lyle says to his daughter as she bobby-pins her hair on the way to the rink.

"That Nixon girl has been in the top since the beginning of the year," Larissa notes. "What's the point of even going."

"I won states." Their daughter mumbled.

"Stop it with the mumbling, and no you didn't win. You got Second place, remember." Larrisa said. "Silver isn't gold, and it sure as hell won't get you as far as you think. When your father and I were in our prime, we got gold medals almost every time we competed in duos. I don't see how you can't."

"Almost? Almost every time?"

"Yes, Kristen. What do you not understand?" Mrs. Bandli snapped. "Eighth grade and your just letting these losses go as if it doesn't affect our reputation. You know, you want to go to high school with the top scores. You want to be better than the seniors of Eden Hall Acdemy's figure skating team. You, Kristin, YOU! Not Nixon. And If I see her ahead of you this upcoming school year then-then-"

"We are gonna have to pull you out." Lyle finished.

"Yes, we are gonna have to pull you out. We can't be wasting our money on the prestigious school just for you to screw it all up." Larrisa turns behind in the car to look at her daughter sitting behind her. "You hear me? Your gonna have to work harder next time. I wanna see PRs today!"

"But what if i don't-" Larrisa glared at her daughter and just turned back around without saying a word.

"Bridget won't win today." Kristin says.

"I don't care if she wins. We just care if you do." Larrisa says. "Bridget Nixon could be anyone. To us she's just the daughter we should've been blessed with. But we make do. And with that, you must do better."

For years, Kristin was just trying to please her parents. Just trying to have them not be disappointed in her. Hours upon hours she would be training in the rink only to be placed right below me. If I would've known, I would've been more understanding.

Second would never be enough. The silver did not compare to the shine of gold. Every silver medal Kristin brought home would just get thrown in the trash. Every Ribbon, every trophy, every reward that wasn't glazed with perfection, trash.

Well, Kris never knew for sure where those rewards would go. Her parents would take them and she would never see it again. The only rewards that would be kept and shown would be anything gold or glazed with preeminence. Anything that proved that Kristin was only the best.