What We Could've Been

Branches from the woods snapped beneath my feet as I walked through the woods to get to Adam's house.

All day Thursday, I saw Adam no where. Friday, Again I still didn't see him anywhere. Saturday, I got no call, letter, invitation, or any kind of way for him to get in contact with me. The only person I heard from was Julie.

The closer I got to Adam's house, the louder the noises of pucks hitting a net got.

I slowed down my pace when the blonde haired boy was finally in my view. I smiled slightly since I haven't seen him in what felt like years. For I have craved so long just to see his face. I know I sound ridiculous, but you dont understand how anxious i've been feeling the past couple days.

Anxiety, guilt, whatever, I had no idea what was going on through that boy's head.

"Nice shot." I complimented as I came out from behind the trees.

Adam glanced up at me and back down at his stick.

"What are you doing here?" Adam asked without making eye contact. He then glanced and my foot then back to what he was doing.

"I wanted to see you." I admitted. "I get my cast off. That's great, right? Exciting isn't it?" I tried to lighten the mood but Banks was still acting cold.

"Yeah." He sighed, non-interested.

I furrowed my eyebrows in frustration.

"Adam we need to talk about something. Umm, something important."

"I've been busy lately."

I scoffed. "Adam, we both know that's not what has been going on."

Adam looked at me and widen his eyes that clearly said "what do you want me to say".

I sighed again and approached the boy.

He looked at his concrete driveway and I tried to look at him dead in the eye. Slowly, he raised his head to meet my eyes.

"How long have you've been keeping this from me?" I croaked.

Adam stayed silent.

"Was Rick always like this towards you? Is that why you have that black eye?" I asked as I pointed to the semi-healed wounded eye on his face.

"Bridget, it's nothing-."

"Well it's definitely something if it got you two suspended!"

We both stayed quiet for a moment.

"Adam, i'm sorry I did this to you-."

"No!" Adam yelled. "Do not blame this on yourself! This is not your fault!"

"Adam, he hates you because of me!"

"Who even told you about Rick?" Adam asked.

It was julie who informed me of everything but I couldn't say that.

Adam scoffed. "Bridget, i'm doing this for us. Rick isn't shit."

"Adam, there never was an us!" I told him as tears began to well in my eyes. "We were never something. You shouldn't be jeopardizing your scholarship over something we never were."

"Yeah well we could've been something. I fought him so there could be something." Adam admitted.

"Adam..." I sigh. "You can't keep doing this."

"Bridget." Adam said softly. "Did you ever see us as one? Was it only me?"

"Adam, I didn't even know you thought that way-."