Ice Burn

I dialed my moms number in my dorm room and sat against the wall, trying to hold back my frustration. The line ringed on the other line and I begged to god that my mom would pick up. I tried keeping my breathing steady. Just then, I hit her answering machine. My blood boiled at the no answer, but it was best to leave my message.

"Hi mom," I croaked, trying to seem okay. "I really wish I can be with you right now." I sniffled. "Dad is just acting like a prick and I—I wish you took me with you to New York. I wish I got to stay with you. Because I really really—I really need you, right now."

I hung up. Then I dialed again. No answer once again. Instead of leaving a message, I just threw the phone onto the wooden floor and sat there in silence.

I try to fix my problems, and yet it doesn't work. After a few moments of weeping of silence, I finally calmed down. I wiped my nose and grabbed my skates.

When I went to the rink, the lights were off but the setting sunlight was still seeping through the ceiling windows. I heard the sound of pucks hitting against a hockey stick. He was practicing his shots like he always did. He was the type to never stop practicing.

I was surprisingly relieved to see him here, despite the fact I didn't want to see anyone. He did notice that I have came in and continued to shoot pucks into the net.

I sat in the bleachers and began changing out of my shoes and into my skates. I skated onto the ice behind him and watched his hit his last puck. I'd hate to be in the way.

He must've heard my skates against the ice because he turned around to face me.

"I thought you went home." He said to me.

I just shrugged.

He skating up closer to me and I just looked at him as he looked at me. He looked at me with a concerned face and it only made me nervous. I didn't want him to think someone was wrong.

"What's going on?" He asked gently.

"I just wanted to be with you." I reply gently back.

He smirked and skating back. "Cmon," He said. "Help me with these pucks." Adam started gathering the pucks.

"I want to stay here." I say, thinking that he was cleaning up cause I wanted us to leave.

"That's fine," He said, continuing to gather the pucks. He left the pucks in front of me. I skated closer. "I wanted to stay here too."

I was standing in between the pucks and the net.

"Lefty or righty?"

"Righty."

"Perfect." He smiled. He got a puck and placed it in front of me.

"What are you doing, Adam?" I questioned him.

"Showing you how to take a shot."

"Why?"

He just shrugged. He had to have known that I was upset. "Sometimes, when i'm like totally pissed, I try to shoot as hard as a can to kinda, like, get the anger out, you know."

"Is that why are in here?" I asked as he handed me his hockey stick and I positioned myself.

"No," He said. "I was just bored." He analyzed my stance.

"Am I even standing right?" I laugh.

"It doesn't matter." He chuckled as he skating closer behind me. He put his arms around me and helped me position my hands on the stick properly. He then held his hands on my arms. He helped me swing back then shot the puck into the net.

I turned my head to smile at him. Our noses were nearly touching. I closed my eyes and leaned in to kiss his lips gently. I pulled away and looked at his blue eyes.

"I love you." I mutter.

Adam didn't say anything. He just stayed out with me in his arms.

"I love you too."

A blush crept onto my cheeks and Adam couldn't help but smile. He started to smother my face with kisses which caused me to squeal and try to get out of his grasp. Once I did, I continued to giggle at him. He took the stick from me and left it on the ice as he chased me around the rink.

We were laughing as we skating on the ice. Eventually, Adam grabbed ahold of my waist and picked me up off the ice before letting my feet hit the ground again. We laughed as I was still in Adam's grasp. He placed light kissed below my ear and around my jawline as I leaned back into his chest.

"We should leave soon before we get kicked out or something." Adam mumbled into my neck.

"Adam, I don't really wanna go home." I whisper to him. He lifted his head and spun me around to face him and proceeded to hold my waist.

There was a sound of the door opening and closing. We both looked over and saw Coach Smirnoff.

"Bridget, your vdad is looken' for you." She called out in her russian accent.

I look back at Adam.

"Are you okay with going home?"

I removed his hands from my waist gently and nodded. I skated off the ice and changed out of my skates and back into my shoes. Adam stood by the wall and watched me pack my things. As I stood up, Adam reached for my hand. He kissed my forehead before speaking.

"You can talk to me, you know." He looked down at me.

"I know." I reply before walking away with Coach Smirnoff. I glanced back at Adam as he started to clean up the pucks and looking back at me every once in a while as I left the rink.

I came home and walked through the front door. I didn't say a word, I just walked up stairs. At the top of the stairs, I saw skeeter packing his things for LA. He smiled at me and continued packing. I went to turn down the other end of the hall, but my dad popped out of Teagan's room. He didn't say anything but he gestured me to come in. I walked in and noticed all my things were practically in the same place as they were before.

"Did you switch my room with Teagan's again?" I questioned. "Does Bianca know?"

"Bianca knows, alright." He sighs. I looked back at him. I shot him a confused look. He brought out the engagement ring that was once Bianca's. My mouth was left agape.

"She left you?"

"I kicked her out." He chuckled. "I kicked her out AND her demon child."

We both laughed and I gave him a tight hug. "She does wear a bit too much makeup, doesn't she." He stated. "And she was a bit needy, greedy, and yeah, a total bitch."

"Glad we are finally on the same page." Skeeter walked into my room and joined the group hug. We all laughed. Just us. The three amigos. Finally a family again without someone in between us.

"Do you guys wanna play a board game?" My dad asked as he let go of us. "One more board game before Skeeter leaves in a couple days?"

My brother and I agreed.

"And, uh, If you wanna invite that Banks kid, you can." My dad noted. "He's a good kid. I like his dad."

"Yeah, i'll give him a call." I smiled.