Chapter 33

Christmas was a big affair in the Sanders household, and apparently in the Evans' too

Christmas was a big affair in the Sanders household, and apparently in the Evans' too. But judging from pictures I had seen on Madeline's wall, Christmas hadn't been celebrated in a grand manner after the death of their father. But now that Belinda was married and the twins were feeling better, she decided to have a large party, inviting the most affluent.

The days leading up to the party were hectic, filled with constant flow of decorations and deliveries. There was new china, cutlery, glasses, decorations, even new types of potted plants.

My mother brushed off the grandeur and made as any offhand comments as she could. She obviously didn't know in this society you can be uninvited to a party that was happening in the house you lived in. But all her gruffness, bitterness and motherly protectiveness was welcome.

After months of getting what I want, of doing the most reckless things I wouldn't have dreamed of, I was grateful to have a parent, an authority, that actually mattered to me.

"Why'd you stay there so long though? You left me with the smooch couple."

I laugh, "Just kept her company mom. Katy will never admit it, but she hates being alone in that large penthouse." It was only half truth. The rest of the truth was not mine to say.

I'd spent the weekend at the Wallins' before I was practically kicked out by Katrina assuring me all was good. I had doubts, but I let her take care of herself. I hadn't seen her since then; the holidays had begun. Simple texts would have to do for now. She'd have landed in Sweden now, to celebrate Christmas with her family back home. She'd be okay.

In the end, I had realised you can't go headfirst into a fight when you didn't know your opponent. I couldn't just sue her father and brother even with the help of Michael and his lawyers. It was as easy as messing with Belinda and my dad.

Which, speaking of, was becoming annoying. I was out of ideas and focused on making sure they didn't end up kicking mom and I by the end of this year. So we were shopping in the Evora Designs' closet.

"What about this?" I spot the red dress before I see Vivian.

The French girl had a near breakdown when I met her after leaving Katrina's. She felt terrible for not seeing the signs and wished to see her but knew her brother would sense something weird. After all, he knew Katrina had blackmailed the royals. According to him, they were still being blackmailed so Katy could sit on the Thornton throne.

So instead of breaking down with Katrina, she sniffled on my bony shoulder. It reminded me Viv was the most caring despite being very cunning just the same. Only when I mentioned I needed dress did she perk right back up to her old self.

She hangs the dress next to the rest of our choices on the rack. I had plenty to choose from. Mom however wanted the perfect dress.

"That might actually be a fit for your needs mom," I turn to her as she rakes her eyes over the shapeless material. "Try it on and see before you judge." She nods at my command surprisingly and takes it and goes off.