Chapter 57

We all headed back to New York the next day

We all headed back to New York the next day. Francine had to attend the MET Gala, and as it turned out so would Belinda with my father in tow. It shouldn't have surprised me since she was a prominent fashion designer. Still it was strange. I was pleased to realise some things still held a novelty.

I suppose what shocked me most, was the realisation that my father was going to attend. Or rather, the admiration I'd felt. Truth be told, I'd felt impressed. Somehow, he'd reached a level, where he was married to a famous designer with her own label, and was welcome at the most exclusive event ever. I was jealous.

It had caused me to be riddled with questions, like whether trickery and lies were the real way to power and fame. No, that's not even a question. That's the truth of life. How sad.

Actually, maybe not completely. Francine and Vivian both had no idea there would be symbolism interpreted me from wearing Viv's piece. No one had anticipated that. I found myself trusting them even more, knowing they wouldn't let me caught by surprise like this.

However, it seemed that French man wasn't the only one to notice this. Many reporters and fashion critiques had something to say, if not about the collection, then about that dress and me wearing it.

It wasn't terrible. Though there were the occasional comments, overall, everyone loved this take. Viv almost cried in sheer joy at the comments on her dress. Learning Viv was the one who designed this piece made the dress even more significant.

'Best friend makes public statement: Tainted but not fallen!'

The headlines, continued, making a wave of media talk about the label, Viv and me, and the story surrounding us. Girls everywhere were commending us and our friendship. We'd taken everyone by storm.

Francine couldn't be happier. So of course I'd gotten a bonus, lucky me.

Despite it, when people had offered to interview us so soon, Francine had told us to decline. She said to keep them waiting, to wait for the biggest platform. So we waited.

In the midst of the excitement though, I had missed a bit. Kat had texted me, saying how Oliver had tried to go to London in pursuit of Isaac as he went to visit family. Kat had barely gotten him to stay put, threatening with the fact that their father would notice and question it.

Still he had come along with Kat to Paris for the show. She hadn't been at the after party because she'd made sure to arrange their flight to Switzerland late at night the same day.

Isaac had narrowly escaped his claws. Soon however, he would be back, with a sharper need to dig his claws in. There had to be a permanent end to it. But nothing came to mind but blackmail.

Isaac didn't answer my call, but Nick did. I didn't worry him, simply asking how he was. He said Isaac was with him, and they were fine. It was a relief to realise that Isaac didn't answer because he was shunning me for my slip up.