Chapter 4

'

'

Sanders philandering?

Fiancé of Belinda Evan, Eric Sanders divorces ex-wife only days before proposal.'

A smirk dangles on my lips, smug and proud. I drop my black bag on the carpeted floor of my father's study. Behind the dark wooden desk sat the ageing man himself. I casually descent on the leather couch against the dark grey wall.

"I take it you read newspaper I left you. It's quite the heading right. They got a good shot of you though." True enough, it was from their engagement party. His bright smug grin and Belinda's giant diamond ring on display as she wrapped her slithering hands around his arm.

"You seem rather proud of yourself."

"Oh is my joy showing? Whoops, must have forgotten to dial it down."

He glares but is oddly relaxed. "Do you know how small Mantle Press Company is?" Oh dear father, too soon to relax.

I smile, "Why do think I had to hand deliver the newspaper?"

"You do know that nobody reads this garbage right?"

I laugh, "Nobody except the geeks who write for magazines and newspaper gossip columns. Those journalists are brutal really. And the reporters?" I let out more laughter. "They're going to be so annoying.

"So tomorrow's news? On the front of New York Times? Will most definitely be this and much more. Because like you said, Mantle is small, but the real papers, they're gonna dig hard. And I'm already out in the open." I stretch my arms laughing.

"Why remain anonymous then? The source here is-"

I flick my hand, "Because I like my reputation, the good girl thing you set for me. I wanna hang to that a little longer before I shatter their expectations and make my rep one that's actually true. They'll be so shocked to find the conniving bitch behind this no? His own daughter! Talk about a plot twist."

I stand up, grabbing my bag to walk out, "Piece of advice? Be honest, it's easier."

-*-*-*-*-*-

School next day is more or less the same. Gladly this time I don't come across hazel eyes. That guy seemed to have a weird stick up his ass. I probably nailed it when I called him out but that wasn't the surprise. It's that he hasn't made a move in putting me six feet deep yet. Granted it's been less than 24 hours.

"Bonjour Camille, good morning." Vivian's voice travels to me as she walks towards me with Rose Carson in tow. "Sorry we bailed on you yesterday." Right, she didn't even text back. But I already knew why she had run off. They were searching for the boys.

The blonde friend scoffs, "We? Speak for yourself."

"Oh hi nightmare." I grin at her making Vivian frown.