Chapter 40

My mother had called of course

My mother had called of course. I forgot to mention how I was ignoring her. Massively. So much so that, it was easy to believe she didn't know about my...unfortune.

Finally, my dad appeared with the phone, a strict look on his face telling me to talk to her.

"I swear if you don't hand it right now, I will fly over-"

"Mom, its me." I cut her rant short with my soft voice. I look to my dad, but he doesn't leave, instead sits down beside me on the bed.

"Moral support." He whispers. I almost smile. Almost.

"Cam? Camille? Oh my god, I was so worried about you. Why didn't you pick up? I wish you picked up once at least, just...I needed to know you were okay."

I stare at my dad, eyes a little wide with surprise.

He whispers again, "I explained. Told her to go soft and understand."

He places his large hand on my knee, and I wonder if he wanted a thank you in return. Then I scold myself for thinking so badly when he seemed to be trying at least this time.

"I'm...I'm okay." Even lying was getting harder. "I won't be making it home though. Belinda and dad decided its best I leave for Switzerland. Cold but a nice place."

"Honey...no..."

"We no longer have quiet lives mom. Coming back home won't make it go away. I did something against them, I got what was coming. And now it's time to give up."

"Camille, you didn't have to fight them so hard. I know I told you but...not this far."

"This," I shut my eyes, "this wasn't for you exactly. This was for the injustice. For the criminal of this whole thing. For me."

"For you..." I could practically hear the question at the end of that.

"More or less. Anyway, what's done is done."

"Your dad said, you didn't want to find...you know who did this."

"I know who took it. But it doesn't matter. There's no point. There's no real evidence either. Just forget it."

"What do you mean-"

"Please. Let's just forget it." I hear her sigh and imagine her closing her eyes, only to open them with tears in them. "How are you doing?"

"Me? I'm okay. And half the town here knows and will tell the other half eventually." I feel another disappointed sigh coming and open my eyes, letting the vision of my mom fade.

"Right, sorry about that. I'll talk to you later, here's dad." I shove the phone to him and walk briskly to the bathroom. I don't hear either of them call for me as I shut the door and sit cross legged on the cool floor.

I don't know how long I stay there, but Martha draws me out with food. I eat the lasagne to her satisfaction. Just as she takes the tray away, there's a knock on my door.