Chapter 44

We got him wrapped up at an emergency room without too much fuss after he asserted his name and dominance

We got him wrapped up at an emergency room without too much fuss after he asserted his name and dominance. I lagged behind, not wanting to be recognised in such a situation, especially with his company.

While that happened, I texted Isaac and Viv to cover for me saying I didn't want to come. They were understanding and texted with me for a bit before having to go to homeroom. It took a lot of breathing in and out to not leave him here. But in the end, I knew I was tired of running.

The park was greener than I remembered, since last time I was here, I barely paid attention to the finer details. We walked for a bit in silence before we sat down.

"So..."

"Why do you hate Collin so much?" I scan his profile and find him frozen. His nose had an odd sized band aid on it, and it looked very out of place on his face. But once you run your eyes over his crumpled clothes, it made sense.

"If I tell you the truth, would you use it against me?" I crack a smile.

"I make no promises darling." He chuckles, easing up.

"I suppose I'll have to take my chances," he tilts his head my way. I nod and wait. "It's a silly stupid reason. I know that now. But when I was younger, it ruled my decisions. My father, he...he means his best, but I keep feeling like I'm a burden on him. Like I will disappoint no matter what. Sometimes it feels like he'll ignore me if I don't remind him I exist.

"Collin and his family, they were close friends years back. We naturally spend time together. But I could never like him because he was competition essentially. Because my dad seemed to like Collin better than me. He liked his boyishness, and his kindness and at times his sheer stupidity." Michael shakes his head in memory.

"So I hated him." He says it so simply, that the resolution seems credible. "When I got into lacrosse, so did Collin. And that just added to the fire, since dad did watch my games, he seemed to recall only Collin's moves. Even when we won. Eventually I headed down a different path to avoid Collin overshadowing him. But even then, we kept crossing paths. It's like he knew exactly how to get on my nerves. Even with you, he knew it was going piss me off."

"Well, let's not forget, I did use your rivalry to our advantage. I made him think it was his choice. Not that it ever was. That was your own plan." Of course we were both avoiding the supposed implications of his words. He stays quiet. "You really hated his happiness." It wasn't a question.

His head hangs lower, his fingers tied together in front of him. I laid back on the bench, not wanting to his expressions either.

"Still unjustified you know. I can't believe you...we planted coke and framed him like that. That's criminal."

"It's my crime."

"Well your card's really filling up. Next thing I know is you murdered someone to cover you drug business tracks." Neither of us laugh. "How did you get the drugs? And how into his locker?"