Chapter 49

I start off school by tracking down Scott in the front yard

I start off school by tracking down Scott in the front yard. I spot him at the front steps after I get down from my car, and head directly to him. "Hey Scott, could I talk to you for a bit?"

He glances at his friend then replies, "Sure. Give me a sec Beth."

We move towards my car, parked beside Isaac's BMW making sure there was no gossipers about. He leaned against my car and questioned what this was about.

"Did you tell your dad about my celebratory party last Friday?"

He frowns, "No, I didn't tell anyone. Why?"

Just to be sure, I press on, "You definitely didn't say where you'd be? And didn't tell him about any of the guests?"

"Camille, you know I'm not always on the best terms with my father. I never even told him I dated Vivian. I wouldn't go tell him about your party now. I know you trusted us not to tell anyone."

"I do, it's the people outside the circle I don't."

"Who are we talking about here?" I give him a short glance before shrugging.

"Hell if I know. They're everywhere." I supress a sigh and continue, "I apologise for the questioning, I just needed to make sure. My dad, I didn't tell him anything about the party, and I knew he bluffed by saying you told your dad."

"It's alright. I get it. But mind if I ask why he might have done it?"

I shrug, "I don't know, I guess he's being overprotective? I didn't exactly specify where my party will be or who was coming. I suppose he was just digging for details by lying. It's just annoying, knowing he's lying. I can't believe I even needed to check with you."

I groan but he chuckles softly, "At least he's lying with good intentions in mind."

If you could call it that.

"That's one way of looking at it. Thanks Scott."

"Anytime." We walk back to the front steps. "So who was the guy at the party you were with?"

"Oh come on, not you too? I swear Viv rubbed off you on."

"The girl knew her gossip. So...?"

"Calm down, nothing is happening. He's just a guy I met at a club. He's not a total douche and I liked hanging out with him. That's all."

"Does this guy have a name?"

My mind scrambles for a name. Did it even matter if I said his name? It was probably fake anyway. "Uh...De-Dylan. Dylan. Now you know his name."

He chuckles, "That wasn't so hard was it? Well, I hope we see him around then."

"Maybe."

"It's not a no." I scoff but smile at his optimism before letting him go back to his friends. Now I just have to figure out how my father got to know about Michael.