Chapter 20

And indeed it was

And indeed it was. The toasts were long and so fake that it made me roll my eyes. Tad aka Thomas Fletcher was the best man and he'd been in business with my father for the past two years it seems. And the maid of honour was Lillian Archibald, who was apparently from 'old money' as the term goes, since her great grandfather had been in the stock business since the 70's.

Both the people had tried to make conversation with me, Tad even trying to set me up with his son Scott, who I recognised from one of our classes together thanks to the ginger hair, before Michael intercepted me from the conversation.

He had been decent company throughout the torturous mingling and rituals. And it had certainly earned sharp glares from Rose, so of course Michael would step away from drinking champagne with me to go to her. It was a wonder they weren't together because they seemed to be always looking out for each other. Despite Michael's attempts to show Rose he was never going to be interested, his small gestures proved otherwise to me.

Belinda had gracefully avoided having to talk to me, but my father had to since many people were curious about me after my little entrance. I shook hands with many adults and met their children who were their exact copies, so it was no wonder they were all so delighted to show them off.

I wasn't able to ruin the dinner since I was planning to stay sober and impressive to the crowd. But I did slip into the kitchen and ruin the some of the dishes by over salting one or two. Even the desserts.

It was brushed off as the carelessness of the cooks, and unfortunately I may have gotten them fired. So being the good two shoes at heart that I am, I gave the parting chef half of the cash I had gotten from the deposit money from the reception reservation. The chef had tears which made me even more guilty and uncomfortable.

Martha witnessed the entire ordeal but I trusted her not to tell when she smiled at me. For a moment I felt like my old self. So I ran out of there immediately. I convinced myself that the deed I did was good and I shouldn't feel too guilty.

I had a plan for what to do with the rest of the money. That plan involved pulling up old footage and I didn't like it. However, it had to be done. Though, that's another secret I'd like to keep to myself.

During lunch the next day, Vivian and I were chatting, strangely like old friends. I stole a fry from her plate, and asked, "So...who's the new guy?"

None of the others were present, Isaac once more absent, Rose and Katrina attending some meeting for tennis players and Michael gone god knows where.

"What new guy?" Vivian plays dumb.

I roll my eyes at her stupid behaviour, "You're a horrible liar, it's a wonder you've lasted this long."

"I can lie," she pauses, "when I need to."

"Mhmm," I chastise, "So?"

"It's the guy I met at the party in your house. From the night of the engagement announcement."