{24}Off To The Races II

¿Chapter 24?
Off To The Races II

"My old man is a tough man
But he got a soul as sweet as blood red jam
And he shows me, he knows me, every inch of my tar black soul."

–Lana Del Rey

🚬

     Melania had been sitting in that same position for about an hour now, telling by the fancy antique clock mounted right above the door. She ached all over, especially around her lower back. She was afraid to move, especially after noticing the wavering red dots around her body. She never once thought about what could happen another few hours from now, she just knew that Enrique was coming. She just had to remain on guard and hopeful.

Her brown eyes shifted to the door as she saw it budge, it first revealed a shiny bald head and then came the body. She steadied her breaths in her chest as she recognized the face.

It was Cain.

"Oh, hi, Melissa. Or, should I say, Melania?" He greeted with a smug grin, showing off his gold teeth. "You look good, you look good." He nodded.
"I hope you like the dress, Melinda picked it out for you."
"Please, tell me what I'm doing here. I've heard his side of the story now I want to hear yours." She forced herself to say in a calm tone.

"Hmm, straight to the point." He nodded again as he took a seat. "Well then, how do I start..?" He tapped his chin in thought.
From the beginning, bitch..
She thought as she rolled her eyes.
"Oh yes," He said, setting the tone to tell his fairytale story as he took a puff from his cigar.

"It all started in 2002, where I met Melanie Santoro. Dark hair, pretty eyes, tanned skin. Saw her in a bar, drinking all by herself. She caught my gaze a few moments after. She didn't say anything, she just smiled at me and continued to mind her business.

She left about an hour later, and so did I.
I heard two people bickering in an alleyway, apparently one owed money to other. And the person had not a cent to give, claiming to have a wife and kid waiting for them at home.

When I took a closer look, it was her. And she was the one demanding the money. I almost thought she was a man, the way she roughhoused him. Her ass-beating was no use, so she just picked up a gun and shot him in the head.

She turned around and saw me there, who witnessed the whole thing. Before I could speak for myself I was already out cold on the concrete, right next to the corpse of her debtor.

So I woke up, in this same room we're in right now, wondering if I was kidnapped or spent the night at a five-star hotel.
She came in, and said she usually killed witnesses but she gave me a free pass and made me join the gang instead. She was the gang leader." He crushed what remained of his cigar on the ashtray and took out a fresh one, taking a long pull before continuing again.

"I was taught ways of the gang, how to shoot, make and seal a deal, kidnap.. And it wasn't long until I became her right hand man, and her lover.

Rolling over to 2010, I met Lorenzo. Handsome chap with bad boy antics, I'm sure the girls loved him. He came to us for a job, so we gave him one. He provided transport for the good stuff; White Lady, Mary Juan.. he took care of our liabilities.
Until one night.." He gestured for Melania to brace her back against the cushioned back rest of the bed, he was noticing her discomfort. Carefully, she shifted backwards and leaned back.
"Now, where was I..?"
"Until one night."
"He plotted against her, he was paid to take her out. Not only that, he was stealing our goods and selling them to his people, keeping the profits to himself. Melanie got wind of this and confronted him at the storage hut, but he wasn't inside. As she closed the door it triggered a detonator.
She died that day wearing a dress like yours. From then I declared to always wear white to honor her memory.

So he came to me, lying through his teeth, saying that they were targeted and that she saved him. I told a henchman to give him her car, a beautiful white Mercedes."

"And you made it look like he stole it?"
"Smart girl." He grinned.

"You knew that it wasn't Enrique and still framed him anyway? How could you?!"
"Turning blood against each other is pretty
entertaining to see."
"So, that's it? You just want to see them kill each other?"
"Why not? His brother took away all that I had, all that I knew and love. It would only be fair."
"Cain, you ruined the life of an innocent young man. Fuck his brother, honestly. Who hadn't done anything wrong to you. Now what would you do to me, Cain?"
"That would just ruin the surprise, wouldn't it?"

To be Continued..