{17}Sibling Rivalry II

¿Chapter 17?
Sibling Rivalry II

***

"Yes?" Enrique answered the phone after the fifty-seventh ring. I wanted to ignore but knowing how Lorenzo is, he won't stop until he picked up.
"Hey little brother, I have to ask you to come pick me up.."

"Why? Didn't you go out with your brand new car? What was it? A Benz, a Ferrari, or a Porsche?"
"A Benz-That's the thing, it crashed! And it burst into flames with my money and ID all inside."

"Why don't you rob some ATM machine? You're good at that." Enrique sarcastically replied.
"Come on bro, you still mad about Chastity?"
"Why wouldn't I be?"
"Don't know, just thought that if you really were man you'd tell the police. I really should have asked for her to put it on tape.."
"I'm hanging up on you now."
"Wait wait! I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Please, just come pick me up."

Enrique sighed, he always asks himself why does he still look out for his brother, then he immediately remembers that their mother told them to stick together regardless their differences.
He ran a hand through his messy black hair, "Where are you?"
"Knew you'd come through. I'm at 6th Avenue, on the back street. Love you, bro-"
Enrique hung up and headed for the door.

--

He pulled up at the street where Lorenzo told him he was, the road was dimly lit with a few flickering lights. It looked kind of sus for him. He decided to remain in his car-a car that young people of today would think is poor- and decided to call.

He tried calling about six times and it went straight to voicemail every time.
Enrique sighed before finally exiting the car. He muttered under his breath, "Dios, déjame ir una noche sin que me pase nada malo.." But he didn't know that stepping out of that car was the worst decision ever to be made in his life.

He closed the door upon exiting the car, the place was eerily quiet and seemed to have no sign of life. It almost looked.. abandoned.
"Where are you?" He mumbled as he went to stand somewhere that had a little light. He found himself standing under the light of a lantern post as he waited for a sign of his brother.

"Hey, wassup, it's Lorenzo here! If I don't answer, I'm prob'ly gettin' busy or doin' some crazy shit. Anyway, I'll get back to ya as soon as I can. Ciao!"

Another voicemail. Enrique sighed before shoving his phone into his pockets and walking back to his car. Then his phone rang, and immediately he answered it. "Lorenzo where are you?!"
"Yeah, about that.. You know I love you bro, I gotta do this."
"Gotta do what? Answer me!"

Lorenzo hung up. Enrique mumbled cuss words as he shoved his phone into his pocket and trotted angrily to his car that was a few metres away.
A car pulled up beside him, out came three lean men wearing white.

"We got him, thieving son of a bitch!"
"Thief? You must've gotten it wrong."
One of the men rushed up to confused Enrique and landed a punch right across his face. He could have sworn his jaw took a three-sixty degree spin as he landed on the cold and dusty concrete.

He felt the strength of their feet smashing into his back and kicking him to his sides. It slowly felt numb as he lost consciousness.

____

His eyes burned as he shot them open, he wasn't able to see in his left eye and his right eye was a bit blurred, but he could still make out things by the size and shape.

His surroundings were enclosed and coloured in grey, so he assumed that he was locked in a room with unpainted walls. The only form of light was the one swaying and constantly flickering above him.

His arms were bounded behind the chair with ropes. A loud creak filled the air, and footsteps. Someone entered the room.
"My my, look at you. Like seeing the mighty hawk without its talons, you can't snatch shit. Like you snatched my wife's car."
"I don't know what you're talking about. You've got the wrong guy, my brother is the one you're looking for!" Enrique spoke for himself only to get a slap across the face.

"Watch who you're talking to."
"Have you no shame? Blaming your brother– if he exists– for your wrong doings?"
Cain took a few steps closer, "I welcomed you like a son, shared my wealth with you and you do this to me?"
"What are you talking about?"

"Playing dumb? Set him up." He told the others in the room and he was blacked out again.

***

"They fabricated a crime scene and sat me in the middle of it all. I was arrested and thrown in a cell. That's where I met Afonzo and José."

"I'm so sorry Enrique." She sniffled as she pulled him into a hug.
"It isn't your fault. But I hope this comes as a lesson to you, trust no one."
"I trust you. You trust me right?"
"Yeah, you're the only one I trust. And it might stay that way till I die."