{35}A Twisted Family Reunion

¿Chapter 35?
Twisted Family Reunionylor

¿•?•¿•?•¿

6:00pm June 20th, 2015

       Jail was no fun. You wake up, shower once a day, eat twice a day, do work, and head to bed. Enrique mostly kept to himself, books were made available and he made the most of them. He took a particular interest in Psychology, Criminology, Science and even Plays. His cell mate was a quiet person, they don't really talk all that much.
In the middle of his book, someone stood in the cell's entrance. He shifted attention from his book to the doorway  and his eyes met a face that he never thought he would see again.

He immediately sat up, remaining on guard. You really don't know what to expect when it came to this guy.
"Why the tense shoulders? Can't a man come to see his younger brother?" Said the man as he brought himself to the light.
"You're no brother of mine, Lorenzo."

He chuckled, "Are you still mad, little bro?"
"What the hell do you mean, asking me if I'm still mad?! I'm furious!" He stood up, meeting his brother chest to chest.
"Hey," Lorenzo started as he placed his hands on Enrique's shoulders to which he aggressively shrugged off. "You know, I've suffered way more than you have.. if not worse. I think it's about that time you know."
"Know about what?" He scoffed.

"Enrique, little brother.. I never understood how you have such pefectly good eyesight and yet  you're so blind to the things around you."
Enrique was confused, it was written all over his face.

"You know that boyfriend mom had?"
"Yeah?"
"What was his name? You know what? It's not important anyway.. what were your memories of him?"

"He was nice, I looked at him like a father figure. Have you forgotten?"
"You saw him like a father figure, not me. Anyway.. they argued a lot. Him and mom." He continued.
"It mostly happened when you were asleep. As for me, I witnessed it all. After some time, it got physical between them both. I couldn't just stand there and watch, so I ran out and said not to hit her, but to hit me instead. And so he did."

Enrique stepped back until he landed on the bed. He was in shock, all the while still confused.

"Almost every night was the same thing. You'd ask where I got the marks from, I'd lie and say I got into a fight. You were a gullible bitch so of course you'd believe it. Beaten with an iron rod, hot frying pan, he'd crush his half- finished cigar on my skin. My, it was hell. When I was old enough I used tattoos to cover the scars."

"I understand, and I'm sorry that I was blind to your suffering.. but is this your excuse for putting me through what you put me through?"

He was taken aback and began to think about it. "Maybe..  yeah. It irritated me how oblivious you were, it made me envy you."

"Are you.. are you serious right now? Really?"

"I wasn't finished. I joined a gang-can't even remember the name- I went to them for a favour, I wanted them to kill him. And in exchange, I would do anything they asked for as long as I lived. They do this often, it's called the 'A Life For A Life Agreement'."
"And?" He pressed.
"So, they arranged an accident. Hired a pick up truck, filled it with gas tanks at the back and sought him out. They found him parked in a parking lot, and crashed right into his car. Mom was in it as well, apparently." He said so casually as though killing his mother was as simple and meaningless as a grocery errand.
"My god, my life has been a lie. So you killed our mother?" Enrique was told that his mom died in an accident, they were both fourteen at the time, but to think it was all orchestrated by his brother was too shocking to believe.
"Rest in Peace, mama. The agreement said a life for a life, three people died. So, their gonna work me three lifetimes over."
"Serves you right."
"I'm exhausted, lil bro. I'm supposed to be released early next year, and I will be worked like a cart donkey all over again."
"And.. why are you telling me this?"
"I dunno.. the truth shall set you free, I guess?"
E

nrique lay on his back, this was all top much to take in. Hes going to have a serious headache after all of this. It always happened when he was stressed.
"Anyway, that was all I came to say. Night night, little bro. Don't piss your bed."
"Piss off."

?•¿•?•¿•?

     The next morning, Lorenzo was found dead. He killed himself. He got a knife from god knows where and slit his own throat. So he was serious about being exhausted, but he never apologized for anything he did. He was always an unpredictable person. He never thought he would receive closure after such a long time, even though he had many questions that were left unanswered. The sad part is that White Menace is gone, that had to be the gang he wad indebted to. If Lorenzo had known this, maybe he would have decided to live a little longer. Well, it was for the best. At least mom and Lorenzo were at rest.

Then Melania was another thing, he hopes that she'll forget about him and move on with life. She was too beautiful and too smart of a girl to be hanging around the likes of himself. He hoped she understood that.

Life wasn't easy and it was neither of their faults, they were just two broken little boys trying to find a way out.