{12}And Your Name Is..?

¿Chapter 12?
And Your Name Is..?

5:00pm October 12th 2014

  It was a Chemistry class, persons usually sit in pairs but Melania was sitting by herself. Someone was probably absent but she didn't mind being alone. She was nearly done drawing out the atomic structures for given compounds from the Periodic Table when she heard the teacher speak.

"I hope you have a proper excuse as to why you arrived to my class at this hour."
"Sorry Mrs. Orion, I missed the bus and traffic was quite heavy."
The teacher sighed, "Just find a seat, boy."
"Yes ma'am." The boy's eyes searched the lab for an empty seat.
"Miss Saunders, please scoot over to give him a seat."

Melania almost jumped, but she nodded and made space on the bench she sat on. The tardy boy made his way to her bench and had a seat.
"Hey," He greeted softly,
"Hi." She replied, "We're continuing Periodic Table."
"Mind if I borrow your notes?"

"Sure. I'm all done anyway." She slided her book over to him.
"Thanks a bunch, um..?"
"Melania. And you're welcome by the way."
"I'm ---"

    In the middle of her brain-movie-sequence, her phone rang yet again, hauling her out of her daydream. She quickly held herself up before her face can collide with the marble countertop.
"Hey Ronella, what's up?"
"Girl I geh some tea."
"Spill."
"Ashanti get secret lova."
"Who?"
"It date back to Dinero Joven, she leave me on the dancefloor for some Spanish-looking man."
"I remember seeing her at the bar talking to a guy, didn't know it was that serious.."

"Anyway issa Brazillian man name Afonso."
Melania jumped. Afonso? Enrique's friend? This is no good, cause she might get herself in this situation too! "Damn, well you know when we meet she got some explaning to do." She played it off liked she didn't know.
"Later b."
"Bye 'nella." She hung up.

"What's with you women and 'tea', huh?"
"Afonso and my friend Ashanti are dating."
"¿Que Mierda?"

?•¿•?•¿

11:30am October 13th, 2014

  Ashanti sat in the lunchroom, ignoring the scrutinizing stares that bore through her under-pigmented skin.
"Okay, what is up with y'all?"
"You tell me, Mrs. 'Somebody Gotta Wife Me Tonight'."
"What are you talking about?"
"Tryna play it off slick, I seen you at the bar." Melania said.
"What are you guys talking about? The Brazilian dude?" Georgia asked.

"Ohhh, it's that what y'all talkin' 'bout." Ashanti played like she didn't know.
"Okay now, tell us."
"Okay, damn." She rolled her eyes.

***

  Ashanti was dancing with Ronella, She was swaying her hips when she felt arms cling to them and a body behind her. She looked back and though the club was dimly lit, She could still see his face. Like the rugged beard and his chipped eyebrow.

"Hope you don't mind me crashing here."
"Dang, I ain't married. Do as you please, boy." She braced back on his chest and put her hand over his. She chuckled, "And your name is, good sir?"
"Afonso."
"Hm.. Afonso. I like that."
"And yours, senhorita?"
"Ashanti Roman."
"I like that too."

"Mind if we go get a drink?" Ashanti asked.
"Damn, are you the man or is it me?"
"I dunno, but I could do for some henny."
"você leu minha mente."
He said as he followed behind her.

They sat on the stool with their glasses of Hennessey and struck up a conversation.
"You don't seem new here."
"This is my first time actually. Came with that feak machine named Ronella," She pointed over to her. a
"And Melania whose in a private room with Georgia."

"Good thing you didn't come alone. Things can get crazy."
"I ain't party this hard since college. It feels nice to relax with my girls.."

She ran out to meet her and grabbed her hand.
"Come on, let's dance."
"But I just came from-- woah!" Ashanti was yanked from her seat.
"Gotta go. Call me later, kay?" She gave him a folded piece of paper with her number. And yes, she had pre-written a few because pen and paper isn't something easy to find– let alone in a club.

***

"Why you had to snatch me like that doe?"
"I wasn't seeing Ronella and I recognized your hair. Sorry if I spoiled anything."
"Naw girl, you cool. Plus we ain't even go out yet, we facetime and text. And Ronella saw the texts."
Ronella smiled shamelessly.
"Ronella what about you?" Georgia asked.
"Pshh," She scoffed, "No love in de club."

Melania felt glad that her friend found someone she was interested in, but couldn't shake off the feeling that she might get caught up in this dangerous spectrum.

What about Ronella, does Melania has to worry about her too?