06 | potential lung failure

Usually Taehyung was never on his mind

Maybe that was a bit of a lie considering they sort of had some weird, dude-bro bonding moment at Eunwoo's house. Things led to another, and now his mind couldn't forget it no matter how hard he tried to squeeze the aftermath out of his brain.

Honestly, he didn't know how to really explain it, but something in the air changed after Jeongguk nearly coughed a lung out and Taehyung just watched him obliterate a house with eggs. Like, he still hated the guy but it wasn't like he wanted to curse out his next of kin, or pull a voodoo thing on him.

It's just. . . different. Yes, it was different. It wasn't like he dumped all of his repressed trauma on Taehyung in some dramatic, shakespearen soliloquy and they rejoiced and had some really empowering conversation about why life was so goddamn precious.

No, it was more like Jeongguk coughed, drank nasty, room temperature water, and Taehyung basically said in the nicest way possible— "bro, you're a fucked up little shit but hey, who isn't."

Total dude-bro bonding moment.

When Jeongguk walked up to Taehyung's car after their morning meeting (which was completely uneventful and Jeongguk barely listened in to), he half expected Taehyung to bring it up and make fun of him for it. Honestly, he would so who else wouldn't?

Normal people wouldn't be dwelling on things like this, but then again Jeongguk wasn't exactly normal. Though that didn't really excuse him for being this way. For being this... awkward.

Maybe Taehyung could tell, judging by the way his eyes found him the moment he came into his field of vision. Maybe Taehyung could see how he ran his hands over the other, or how he picked at a frayed string on his jacket incessantly and no matter how much he tugged it, it felt neverending much like the spiral spinning itself in his head.

Maybe Taehyung noticed the unease between his brows, the frown already etched on his lips, or perhaps the pain in Jeongguk's expression when he got a brief flashback to that night. Maybe he noticed all these things but when he joined Tae's side, he merely smirked and gave him a jut of his chin in acknowledgement like he usually did.

All those stupid, stomach-pinching tingles just left in that moment. Poof. Gone. Jeongguk wasn't quite sure why he was so concerned about their whole situation being awkward, seeing that Taehyung didn't seem like the type to let the conversation fucking crash and burn like that. Also, he was in no way important enough to be subject to his worries.

There were a lot of other things to care about, and certainly Taehyung wasn't in that category.

God, there was something wrong with him today.

"Goodmorning Jeon," Taehyung was always perky. Unnaturally perky like those nasty packets of artificial sugar, but Jeongguk guessed people liked that shit anyway if they kept coming back to it.