25 | don't force it

"You look like absolute shit

"You look like absolute shit."

"Why thanks." Jeongguk scooted aside his plastic chair, making room for a smiling Park Jimin to sit right next to him. Great. Just the perfect company for this fine Tuesday afternoon.

But Jimin was right: he didn't look too great.

His skin was paler, and his cheekbones were more defined and hollowed out. He experienced chills often, leaving him no choice but to stack layers upon layers of clothing so he wouldn't violently shiver throughout the day. The layers weren't so bad because without them, people would see how skinny he's gotten. Barely anything fit, and most of his clothes basically devoured his tiny frame.

Other than that, Jeongguk sported a mask from time to time. Sae told him to be mindful of inhaling too much pollution, or being in crowded public areas with Taehyung to make sure nothing would overwhelm his weakening immune system. Too much and he'd be stuck in a terrifying coughing fit, hacking up blood and most likely vomitting the contents in his stomach all over again.

But he was managing! Even when he couldn't cross the parking lot without leaning against Taehyung in between to catch his breath or keep food down, he was doing his best.

And that was all that mattered. Or at least, that was what he kept telling himself.

"Can I ask why you tracked me down at the hospital cafeteria of all places?" He asked, watching as Jimin slid his tray onto the table, filled with food that Jeongguk eyed enviously. He hasn't been able to eat anything other than pudding lately and he was managing just fine, but god, rice bowls sounded great right now.

"I just wanted to talk to you," Jimin shrugged. "I haven't spoke to you in a while anyway, so why not we eat lunch together."

Jeongguk snorted and gestured at the empty space in front of him, save for the pudding cup he barely finished. "More like you eat and I watch you."

"Oh now you're making me feel bad," The corners of Jimin's lip curled upward. There was nothing mocking about it, which Jeongguk appreciated. At times, Jimin reminded him vaguely of Taehyung. The pair shared some odd similarities.

"Please," Jeongguk shook his head, biting back a smile when Jimin made a skeptical face at him. "It's really okay. I can't eat it even if I want to."

"That's just depressing," Jimin muttered, shyly forking some rice into his mouth. "I'm sorry in advance." He added after swallowing.

"There's nothing to be sorry about," Jeongguk mustered a forced smile, his fingers tugging the fabric of his beanie further over his ears.

"So," He said, refusing to let the conversation down just like his acclaimed 'soulmate', "You're dying."

"Pretty much," He nodded.

"And I saw you at the dialysis center the other day. Does Taehyung know about that?"