30 | there's always tomorrow

"F-fuck," Jeongguk sputtered in between breaths, his face red and shirt clinging to his sweat drenched chest as he nearly collapsed against the side of the railings he was trying to balance himself on

"Kid, don't push yourself anymore," Sae was beside him. "If you can't do it, you can't. It's fine." She managed to snag some time off to be with him during his physical therapy sessions, which he appreciated.

But for some reason, her presence only made the crack in his chest split wider apart. He could feel the worry in her eyes dig into the side of his skull. Every time his legs crumbled from beneath him, he never missed the subtle wince that flickered across her features when the physical therapist rushed to his side.

She was supporting him, yes, and at the same she made him feel like a fucking failure.

It wasn't intentional— he knew better than that. There were things Jeongguk couldn't control, and this was one of them, but god, how horrible it felt to stumble. His legs weren't working. No matter how much he willed himself to take a step forward, he couldn't lift his foot off the ground without over- exerting himself. The cold he got from standing out in the rain two weeks ago did nothing to help his body improve.

It was stupid, frustrating, and painful he couldn't even take a single step anymore. Sae having to watch that— he didn't want to think about it anymore.

"We should take a break." Sae was already waving off the therapist to leave the room before Jeongguk could respond.

"Sae," Jeongguk heaved, readjusting his grip on the metal bars. "I'm fine."

"No you're not," Sae's expression was unreadable as she joined his side. "Come here and let me help you down." She gestured at his wheelchair.

"I said I'm fine. I-I can do it," Jeongguk shook his head when she held her hand out toward him. "I haven't even tried."

"Jeongguk," She gritted her teeth, "it's been almost two hours. You haven't even moved from one end to the other. Give it up already."

"Sae, listen," Jeongguk started but she was quick to interrupt him with—

"No you listen! I'm talking to you as a medical professional and I'm telling you to please just stop it already," Sae snapped, her voice breaking a little.

"It's over, Gguks. I-It's been over."

Jeongguk's eyes widened. It took a second for Sae to realize what she just did, and when she did, he could hear her stomach drop. A dozen emotions flashed over her features. Regret. Guilt. Pain. Sadness. Sae took a step back, running a hand down her face while the other sat perched on her hip. He watched quietly, noticing how her hands wavered and her shoulders trembled.