EPILOGUE

Taehyung

Taehyung.

"Hey Jeongguk," Sae whispered, taking Jeongguk's hands in hers while the other lovingly stroked his hair behind his ear. "I hope you're hanging in there."

He didn't reply, unable to squeeze her hand. Sae quieted him down, even though he didn't make a noise. She adjusted the blanket over his chest, the smile she wore breaking apart as Jeongguk's labored breaths were strained. She watched him suck for air, only to squeeze his hand tighter.

"You're okay," Sae said, watching as Jeongguk's face crumpled with pain before a few seconds passed and the creases slowly eased. "You're alright, k-kiddo. The hospice nurse just came by to give you something t-to feel b-better."

I only got to know you for a little while but you impacted my life in the greatest possible way.

The entire room was dark, for the curtains were drawn shut, and the lights were off. Sae kept it like that on purpose, knowing Jeongguk preferred it that way. She made sure nothing would disturb him. All you could really hear was the nearly inaudible hiss of his ventillator, Sae's gentle sniffles, and the occasional hum of Jeongguk's vitals machine monitoring his weakening heartbeat.

Around the room were flowers and gifts. Sae only brought them in now that Jeongguk was in the final stages. He made a huge fuss about gifts, saying they were out of pity, but she knew she couldn't throw them away. Even though most of them were from relatives they haven't heard from in a long time, she couldn't do that.

Especially when the others were from the hospital staff and some of The Buddy Program members who dropped by to say their goodbyes earlier that day.

"You know," She stroked his knuckles carefully, tilting her head back to relieve some of the pressure behind her eyes. "I'm not as prepared as I told myself. I-I made sure to separate my feelings for so long so I could oversee your case, but now? I-I'm just here to be your aunt, Gguks."

"I remember when I first got you," She shook her head, hair falling over her eyes as her shoulders trembled. She swallowed thickly, voice cracking as she said, "I was so stressed and distant. I didn't want kids. I wasn't interested in any of that."

"But you?" She smiled, kissing his wrist. "I changed my mind. You changed my mind. When things got less chaotic, I learned to appreciate you a-around my house."

I'll miss you so much. It's funny how none of this feels real, and yet it is. It is real.

"The house will be so empty," Sae blinked back searing hot tears. "I c-complain about picking up your damn laundry and you escaping at night to go God knows where. I r-remember shouting at you to stop vaping out your window! I don't think I'll really miss that but," She sniffled again.

"I'll miss talking to you. Hearing your voice. Laughing at your jokes and your insults about my vegetarian cooking." She slumped forward, pressing her face into the palm of his hand. "It'll b-be so hard to live without you."