23 | kinda contradictory

When Jeongguk entered the meeting room, he was surprised to see that nobody was in there

When Jeongguk entered the meeting room, he was surprised to see that nobody was in there. The door was already unlocked, so he assumed that Namjoon stepped out for a little bit. And with that, he found himself drawn toward the massive windows instead of finding his seat in their usual circle.

He wrapped around himself, shivering. It was cold this morning, the thick sweater he wore wasn't enough to keep the chills at bay. Outside didn't look too great either, for the torrential downpour battered against the glass with a muted thud and flooded the streets below. Seoul itself was stained a murky gray, darkening the room with dull shadows.

Jeongguk leaned his shoulder against the cool glass, swallowing. Up to this moment, he still hasn't properly faced Taehyung. It was strange, funny even how was the first thing that would come to his mind at this point when the days Jeongguk had were limited, dwindling with every breath he took.

Maybe it was because this room reminded him of Taehyung. Not that there was much to remind him, but as he stood there alone, surrounded by nothing except cold shadows, part of him remembered his warmth. The irritating, overwhelming warmth he desperately wanted to avoid because people like Jeongguk hated pity. Hated forced attention.

And yet, Taehyung was beyond his expectations.

Sae's advice didn't help much with untangling the knot of emotions bunched in Jeongguk's chest. In fact, it made it worse, the knot tightening around his heart, aching. It was stupid feeling like this. Nothing he could do or say could explain what this felt like. It was everything and nothing. A swell of his heart then a sinking sensation in his stomach.

Should he pursue this? Was it even worth chasing?

There was a bunch of reasons why this wasn't right. First, Taehyung wouldn't ever like someone like him. He was a guy, after all. Second, he had a girlfriend. Jeongguk was horribly stupid to even kiss him in the first place.

Even though he heard many stories of Haewon cheating on Taehyung, Jeongguk wasn't a enough of an idiot to not understand how cheating to get back at someone was equally horrible.

Third— well, the third reason was obvious. So many things, everything, was screaming at him that this was doomed from the start. That they were doomed from the start. He was stupid to even think that Taehyung would reciprocate his feelings when he wasn't even sure himself if these emotions were truly genuine or a drunken whim.

It was all so confusing, and yet—

"Goodmorning Nam— oh, hey." Jeongguk craned his head toward the entrance, eyes widening when he realized who it was. Taehyung. Of course it was Taehyung.

"Hey," Jeongguk cleared his throat, averting his gaze back toward the window. He shifted over his feet, hearing the soft thud of Taehyung's footsteps approach him.

"Do you know where Namjoon went?" Taehyung asked once he was by his a side a good distance away. A safe distance away. He also didn't seem too affected. At that, hearing the nonchalance in his tone made Jeongguk's face redden. Was he just overthinking this?