26 | a goddamn party pooper

There wasn't much time to think about what happened that afternoon

In the days that followed, Jeongguk's condition took a sudden drop. Irregular fevers, muscle weakness, shortness of breath, nausea, and the likes— all these crazy symptoms ravaged his system, and there was no way telling what it was. It was a medical mystery that left his doctors stumped, Sae frustrated, and with that, they all knew what it meant for him.

Jeongguk collapsed again during a meeting. He didn't pass out, but his legs gave up from beneath him as he was following Jimin during a harmless trip to the vending machine. Caused the poor guy quite a scare, and everyone in the group only worried more when he came to the next meeting in a wheel chair.

Sae said it was temporary until he was able to regain his strength, but they knew words were just words; they didn't mean anything. Not in this case.

Jeongguk hated it but what could he do? What could he say or change when this was his fate? He was going to die in less than three months. His body was giving up, time was running out, and the chance for a cure was incredibly slim. The world was against him, forcing him to remember he wasn't normal and he would never ever be.

But the only thing that made this bearable was Kim Taehyung.

Something changed— there was no denying that.

Whatever was said or done after that afternoon changed something within him. But it was a subtle change, something Jeongguk could have imagined. It wasn't like Taehyung was ignoring him. In fact, it was the opposite. As long as he was back at his side, smiling and laughing and being the dumb idiot Jeongguk came to know, it was okay to be selfish and live in this stupidly naive idea that everything would be okay.

Because this— this was as good as it would get.

And he was grateful. So, so grateful for him. Even if Jimim was right. But despite that, Jeongguk tried not to think about it. Taehyung, on the otherhand, seemed to be doing the same thing.

At least they were on the same page.

"Something on your mind?" Taehyung asked. He insisted on pushing him around the floor while everyone in the meeting took a snack break.

"Not really. Don't you think it's getting a bit cooler outside?" Jeongguk said, peering out the windows to see the April skies a vibrant blue, though there were still thick clouds plaguing the heavens.

"Are we really talking about weather?" Taehyung snorted, pushing him closer to the windows.

"Well yeah, I don't know what else to talk about. I'm being pushed on a fucking chair with wheels," He said, nose scrunching. "What else is there to say?"