Chapter 39 - The Call

"I don't like what we just witnessed..." Jacob said in an uneasy manner. The adults were seated in the living room, discussing about their children's little stunt a few moments ago. Jacob sank in a solo sofa seat as Jonathan tried hard to wipe the childish smirk off his face. Lizzy came in a few seconds later, balancing a tray of hot coffee and plain biscuits on her hands.

       "The children have become much more... closer, I suppose," Jonathan commented. He failed a miserable attempt to sound serious; Lizzy shot him a mischievous grin.

       "This is wonderful!" Lizzy laughed as she took a sip from her hot coffee. "It was the right decision to come back early!"

       "That's because you were too excited to see their progress," her husband sighed. "Imagine how much more they would've progressed if we hadn't come back early."

     Jonathan patted his old friend's back while stifling a deep laugh. "Don't jump into conclusions Jake. My son's not one to lose his control. What we witnessed a few minutes ago... They may have been doing something else—not the one you're thinking of."

       "Oh yeah?" Jacob's voice was weak and worried. "Like what?"

       "Like..." Jonathan stopped for a second and gave it some thought. "Um..."

       "Like practicing acrobatics?" Lizzy cheerfully suggested. Her husband groaned as her friend chuckled. Even back when they were in high school, Lizzy and Jonathan were the mischievous ones, and Jacob always had to worry about the aftermath and cleaning up their messes. "Relax sweetie. They're not children anymore, they're young adults. They know what they're doing..."

       "Or what you're making them do..." Jonathan coughed. Elizabeth just smiled.

       "But they're still teenagers. Do you know what kids are doing these days?" Jacob said.

       "Unlike those other kids, our kids are engaged. Is there any need for comparison in terms of behaviour? Have you seen Kristina act like those rebellious teens? Have you seen Daniel fool around with other women?" Lizzy couldn't help but emphasize her words.

     Jacob couldn't talk back to that. It wasn't his fault he was worried about his daughter. He knew he wasn't around all the time and he had no idea what was happening at school aside from her being the class and council president. Even though he trusted Daniel, he still felt the need to protect his daughter. He was her father and he had the right to be worried.

       "Then mind explaining what they were doing when we walked in?" Jacob asked, a little calmer this time.

       "Should we ask them? We could call them down and have a family meeting," Jonathan suggested. Actually, aside from that thought, there was something he wanted to discuss with Daniel as well. It was a very important matter. He just hoped that the same person who called him on his phone yesterday at Hawaii won't contact his son as well.

       "Let's do that later," Lizzy made an airy hand, clearly oblivious of the situation. "And about their....urn... position... I believe Daniel was just teasing poor ol' Kristina again, and knowing our daughter; she probably took it seriously and squeezed him to death or something. Although I don't know how exactly."

       "Hardly believable," Jonathan said. He gave Jacob a knowing look. They already talked about this important matter back at Hawaii, and he asked Jacob the favour of passing the message to his son. He was leaving tomorrow at an early flight to Europe. They thought it was best if they didn't tell the women about this.