Chapter 55 - Commencing: The Marriage Interview

Dedicated to Madcass for making that awesome cover on the side. =))

........................................................................................

Chapter 55 – Commencing: The Marriage Interview

     Everybody was seated all around the long rectangular table. Sitting on the left part were Jonathan, Daniel and Kristopher. On the opposite part were Chie, Mari and Seth—Kristopher's father. And of course, Richard Yao sat on the head of the table. Mari was sitting directly in front of Daniel and she kept grinning at him, hoping he'd notice and get irritated. Daniel was right. She was a bit like her brother.

       "Well, we are here," Richard said as he smiled at each of his guests. The atmosphere around the adults was a bit tense—Jonathan and Seth looked like they were nervous since they kept fixing their serious gazes on their hands, then stealing glances at their host, and then back at their hands again. They acted like guilty puppies. While the adults were like that, the kids, however...

       "Yay!" Mari beamed. "This is so exciting!"

     Kristopher felt his eyes twitch. How could she be so inconsiderate of the situation? He couldn't believe that this girl was related to Daniella.

       "Mari-chan, be serious." Richard said so casually, as if he was already used to saying it. Daniel and Kristopher were semi-glaring at the twins. Mari and Chie were grinning like fools at their guests. The situation was weird no matter how you look at it. Richard cleared his throat before reaching for Seth's and Jonathan's hand. They both smiled at him and high respect was present in their eyes.

        "Seth-kun, John-kun," he began, he smiled warmly at them. The children just observed them in silence. "I call everyone here for very important announcement. I already discuss it with you two, now; let us discuss it with our children."

     Daniel noticed how his father swallowed hard and Kristopher noticed the big bead of sweat trickle down his dad's face. They really wondered why their dads acted like Richard's little pets. It was very unusual and they were really disturbed with the way their dads responded to their host. Was Richard Yao that amazing? Or was he possibly blackmailing them with something?

       "Daniel-san," he faced him with a smile. "Have you begun extending your business in America? For sure it would be easy for you since you have amazing gift, yes?"

       "Uh..." Daniel mumbled unsurely. He hated it whenever people mentioned his 'gift'. He felt like he was being treated like an exotic creature or something. "I haven't yet. I've been busy with school lately."

     Richard's warm smile didn't faze a bit. He nodded his head, understanding. "Aah. I see. How is school?"

     Kristopher peered at his cousin. Daniel was sitting up straight, his hands were laid on the table and his complete attention was on Richard. His eyes looked serious, just like the usual. Kristopher silently smiled. Daniel was younger and completely inexperienced compared to their dads', but by the way he's looking at their host showed a different level of maturity and superiority.

       "School is school," he said, shrugging his shoulder uncaringly.

     Richard then turned to look at Kristopher. He tensed up at once when the warm smile from their host's face vanished, replaced with a peeking scowl. The man still disliked him. "And you? How is school for you? How are you treating Anne-chan?"