Chapter 51 - Too Little Too Late

Chapter 51 – Too Little Too Late

       "Hi!" Sean unsurely raised his hand to greet her after she opened the door. He was met with a greatly bewildered expression and he silently cringed at the sight of her face. Even though he unconsciously ended up on her doorstep, he was still mentally debating if this was the right decision or not. Sean tugged a grin, then his lips pursed into a thin line, then a crooked grin again. "H-Happy New Year?"

     Ella arched a brow as she leaned on her front door. Before she replied or rather questioned his sudden appearance, she found her eyes raking him from head to foot. His hair looked messier than usual, like he'd been flipping it or scratching it on purpose; he was also wearing a white, buttoned-down shirt and a pair of faded jeans. Sean unnoticeably swallowed hard. Now this wasn't a sight you see every day. "What do you want, Sean?"

     Sean swallowed hard again and cleared his throat a few times. He looked at Ella but decided not to meet her straight gaze. Something seemed different about her all of a sudden. "I heard that um... You didn't go send the guys off at the airport 'cause you're gonna celebrate New Year with you parents?"

       "Yeah. So?" she replied. She kept peering her head over her shoulder, almost as if she was checking if anyone was secretly spying on them. She knew her older sister, Peyton, had a pretty keen ear when it comes to these types of things. Peyton was like Ella in so many ways—she loved playing cupid. If Ella tried to bridge her friends, Peyton loved to bridge her baby sister. And she knew very well who Sean was, and what their past relationship was. These sisters kept no secrets from each other.

     He slightly cringed at her uncaring expression. He felt like he was being a nuisance just by standing there. Quickly snapping away from his negative thoughts, he looked at Ella again and smiled quite awkwardly. He didn't act this way towards her for a long time now. He was still confused as to why the feeling's coming back. "I just... happened to stopped by."

       "Okay. So you need anything else?" she asked as if she was in a hurry. It wasn't a rude question, it actually sounded polite but impatient. The truth was, she didn't want the neighbours and especially her sister to see him 'stopping by'. She didn't believe his reason one bit and even though she wanted him to leave already, she was curious as to why he indeed stopped by.

       "Um..." Sean scratched the back of his head and fixed his gaze on his feet. This was really awkward. "Do you have any water?"

     Surprised with his sudden request, Ella raised another brow. Sighing, she opened the door and motioned for him to come inside. She knew something was up, but she needed to deal with him maturely right now, right? She internally laughed at her thoughts. Maturely her face. As Sean made light steps upon entering her house, quietly trailing her from behind and following her to the kitchen, he held his breath. It had been at least four years since he's last stepped inside this place.

     He sat down on the dining table as Ella took a jug of ice cold water from the fridge. She poured him a glass before sitting on the chair opposite to him. Sean nodded his head as thanks and quickly chugged down the drink as if it was an alcoholic beverage. He made a satisfied sigh after he emptied the glass.

     As Ella began to refill the glass with water, she noticed that Sean's eyes were fixed on everywhere except her. Did he come all the way here just to avoid her gaze? And why was he here? Somehow, there was something tugging inside her chest and she wanted to punch it so it'll leave her alone. Last night was a bit awkward for the both of them and the past few days they practically 'bonded' with the rest of their friends. But her feelings were certain. The things she used to feel for him were fading away, and she had no idea how or why.