Chapter 52 - The Surprise Son

Chapter 52 – The Surprise Son

     Six year-old Daniel saw a little girl around the age of five, struggling to climb up a tall stool. When she miserably failed for the fifth time and landed flatly on her butt, she groaned and let out a silent hiss. Not noticing his presence behind her, she continued to climb up the legs of that stool with her short legs, making cute noises as she desperately tried to pull her weight up.

     Daniel peered over his shoulder and noticed that his dad was pleasantly chatting with two unknown people outside the house. The only thing he could make out of those strangers was that the giant lady was always laughing and smiling, and the giant man was as big as his dad. He glanced at the small girl in front of him again and when she fell down once more, she slammed her tiny fists on the floor out of frustration.

     He couldn't help it. He approached her quickly and helped her up. Kristina confusingly looked at him, wondering who this little boy was, and why he was in their house. His expressionless face bothered her a bit. Doe eyes, pursed lips and overall smart-looking appearance. Was he a robot? She furrowed her brows and pouted her little lips. She hated failing and getting seen failing.

       "Why don't you try again?" the little boy encouraged, pointing at the tall stool. She nodded and without another word, Kristina climbed up the stool's leg once more. When she felt like slipping down again, she felt a pair of hands push her butt up, supporting her weight. She looked down to see the boy helping her, but his face still looked robot-like.

     When she finally succeeded, she sat on top of the stool and cheered as if she just climbed on top of Mt. Everest. Since the stool and table were too tall, Daniel couldn't make up what she was doing up there. Curious, he called her.

       "What are you doing up there?"

     The little girl giggled at him, hugging what seemed like a jar and a plastic full of bread on her puffy chest. She squatted on her knees and Daniel felt alarmed all of a sudden. "Catch me!"

       "Don't jump!!!" he frantically cried out, but it was too late. The girl jumped down from the tall stool. He didn't realize it, but he actually flung his small arms wide. He did attempt to catch her, but instead, it was the floor that caught both of them. Kristina safely landed on his chest, he was groaning from the pain.

     As if she wasn't affected by it at all, she sat up and wobbled towards their dining table. Although his chest hurt a bit from the impact, he managed to stand up and follow that girl. Why did his father bring him here anyway? This was the first time he stepped into another house besides their own. And this was the first time he met someone around his age bracket. She was a girl too.   

     She was already sitting on their dining table, softly humming the opening song of Dora the Explorer to herself. Daniel climbed up the chair opposite to her and noticed that she was making a sandwich. She was making four sandwiches. He was surprised how big of an appetite this little girl had.

       "Are you really that hungry?" he asked.

       "No," she happily said. "These three is for me, and this one is for you! Mommy told me to share."

     Daniel had a weird feeling whirling inside him. He felt like he wanted to smile, but his face prevented it. He always wondered why he couldn't express his real emotions well. "You have a nice mommy."