Chapter Thirty One

Chapter Thirty One

"Ready?" GiGi asks and we nod.

All of us are sitting in their small movie theater room. It looks like a small version of a movie theater with two rows of cushiony seats and a large flat screen. In the back corner of the room by the door, is a popcorn machine, assortments of candy boxes, and even a soda fountain! Together, we decided to rent Flicka, the popular horse movie about a girl named Kate who claims a wild horse as her own.

"I love this movie!" April says, stuffing her mouth with popcorn.

"Agreed. Wayy better than the second one, Flicka Two." GiGi says, munching on some Red Vines.

"Yeah," I start, "Flicka Two is very cliché."

When the credits finally roll, it is just past midnight. We all stand up and GiGi slowly walks over and shuts of the television.

"What to do, what to do..." Apil says as we guide ourselves back into GiGi's kitchen. We all plop onto the barstools.

"Midnight sledding!" GiGi shouts at the confused April and me.

"What's that?" We both say in unison.

"Well," GiGi starts, "At midnight in the winter, all of the neighborhood kids and I go sledding at the Oakbrook's giant hill." I recognize Oakbrook from Brian Oakbrooks last name. Brian is a kid from school that has a good portion of the girls crushing on him. Brian is also one of Drew's really close friends.

April sucks in a breath. "Oakbrook? As in... Brian Oakbrook?" She blushes and looks down.

"So you like him?" I ask curiously.

"Yeah... I like him more than Teddy..." I grin widely at her and she sticks out her tongue.

"What about my prosthesis?" I look down at my stick of a leg. Literally.

"Don't worry about it." GiGi says, barely paying attention to me.

I hear GiGi type on her iPhone before looking up at us.

"I texted Brian. He said he would text some of his friends to see if they can go midnight sledding with us. I also texted Jill. She will be over in-" GiGi is cut off by the ring of the doorbell. "That must be her. Ali, act normal with her and Drew, K?"

"Mhhm" I say quietly as we walk over to the door.

GiGi opens the door and reveals a Jill, dressed in purple leggings, a purple winter jacket, black snow boots, a black hat, and black gloves.

"Hey, girlies. Ready for some midnight sledding?" Jill asks, leaning against the door frame. It takes all my strength and April's to not lunge myself at her. But yet again, I don't know yet if she (or Drew) where the ones who tried to kill me at AECs.

~~~

"Bye, Mom!" GiGi shouts, slamming the front door shut. Even though it was late, GiGi's mom was still up, reading quietly in her bedroom.

The deep snow was up to our knees, so it made it difficult to trek through it. After a few hard tugs, the icy back garden gate was open wide enough for us to fit through. We walked over to the main road where we could walk easier. Only a light dusting of snow covered the road, but certain spots had back ice so you had to be careful.

It look about five minutes to get to Brian's house, but it took a good ten minutes to climb up their steep hill. I didnt need much help climbing up with my prosthesis, but it did take extra time. At the top of the hill, I saw a pile of sleds by the driveway and about five other kids, all in my grade and the went to my old school. I exchanged greetings with everyone happily. When I say hello to Brian, though, he seems sort of out of it. He mutters a hello before walking off. Shaking off the rude greeting, I look behind where Brian was standing and I see Drew. He is waiting patiently in the back, staring at me. His icy blue eyes are irresistible to look at.