Chapter Forty One

Chapter Forty One

After my shower, I feel so refreshed. My skin smells faintly of my vanilla bean body wash and my hair is tangle-free. Slowly, I change into a pair of mint green shorts and a simple white sleeveless button up shirt, paired with strappy sandals. Perfect.

I check my phone when I walk out of the bathroom. I have a minute to spare until I have to meet Dee in the main lobby. Dee said that she would drop Drew, GiGi, April, and I off at the competitors party and pick us up at nine.

"Bye mom." I say to my mom, who is sitting on her bed, reading.

"Bye, honey. Don't stay out too late." And with that, I grab my wallet, with the room key and some money, and my phone. Quickly, I take the elevator down to the quiet lobby.

I smile widely when I see Dee, April, and Drew in the lobby. "Where's GiGi?" I ask, walking up to them.

"GiGi decided not to come tonight." April says, looking rather sad. A minute later, April grins at me. "But that doesn't mean we can't have fun." I nod my head at April. She looks real... stylish. Her long black hair is styled in loose curls, normal until you look at her dress. The dress just brushes knee length, and it is covered with oranges.

"Nice... Dress." I roll my eyes at my friend as we all head out the door to Dee's truck.

"What!?" April laughs at me, slinging her arm over my shoulder. "After all, we are in Orange County."

~

"Red red red red red red red red red red redneck." April, Drew, and I sing to the stereo, along with the rest of the people at the competitors party, to the popular Blake Shelton song. It was almost nine at night, and the party is still going strong.

After Dee dropped us off at the party, we all had a Mexican food dinner, consisting of tacos, tortilla chips, salsa, and guacamole. Then, we had some snacks from the assorted dessert table. My favorite dessert was the chocolate cake. To be honest, I had at least three slices. When all of the people at the party ate their fill, the DJ came and blared country music from the stereo. My kinda party.

I decide to take a break from the dancing and get some air outside. Even though the party is located in the show grounds large indoor arena, the air is stuffy and dusty. "I'll be back in a few." I tell April and Drew. They both nod at me as I guide myself through the crowd of people.

The fresh air, even though hot, felt good on my skin. I lean up against the outside of the arena. I see a few others out here, including a 'security guard' (aka ground manager), and a few riders, taking their horses out for an evening walk.

Sigh. So much could go wrong tomorrow, but so much could go right.

Second place was just 0.1 points away from me, leaving no room for error. Silently, I rub my temples.

"Are you ok?" An unfamiliar male voice asks me. I open my eyes. The person looked about my age, with light brown shaggy hair and ocean blue eyes. He was cute. And would look good with my single friend GiGi. I chuckle to myself in my head. She would kill me.

"I'm... Fine. Thanks." I say, sounding rather rude. "Sorry. Just... Stressed." I add.

He smiles to me slightly. "It's ok. I'm Matt by the way."

I give him a slight smile. "Ali."

"So... Penny for your thoughs?" My eyes lock with his before I look away. Clearly, he is trying to make conversation. I decide to go along with it.

"I'm winning my Training division and I'm just contemplating a game plan for stadium." Its the truth. I need a game plan for stadium in order to win. Faith and I have to ride the stadium course with confidence.

"Ah." Matt starts. "So you are the rider beating me by 0.1 points." He chuckles. I cannot believe that he is the rider in second place in my division!

I give him a half smile. We have a long conversation about our lives with horses. I told him how I got my horses Beau and Faith, and he told me about his bay, Remington. I also got the courage to tell him about my acccident at AECs last year, where I lost my leg. Matt was kind and friendly, and I found out his barn is only fifteen minutes away from Pink Blossom!

"Ali!?" The familiar voice calls to me. I am facing away from the arena door, so I turn around, running face first into Drew's chest.

"Drew. Hey." I smile at him. "Drew this is Matt." I say to him. "Matt this is my Drew." I hope Drew doesn't get the wrong idea fabout Matt.

"Yeah. Whatever." Drew seems upset. He brushes right past me, headed in the direction of the temporary stalls. Cleary, he got the wrong idea about Matt.

"Drew!" I call to him. When he ignores me, I turn to Matt.

"Im sorry I-" I start.

Matt gives me a slight smile. "No worries. Go to talk to him. Heres my number. You know, since we live close, maybe we could ride together or something." He hands me a sticky note with his number on it. I take it tentitively. I dont want him to get the wrong idea. 

Seeming to read my mind, Matt says, "You know, as friends." With a smile and a thanks, I take off after Drew. 

~

I have a feeling that he is by the Pink Blossom stabling area. Slowing to a walk, I stroll right past Faith's stall. His back facing away from me, I tap Drew slightly on the shoulder.

"Hey." I say quietly.

"Hi." He responds. Okay, awkward.

"Don't get the wrong idea about Matt. He is just a friend."

"Its fine." Drew glances up at me, but right away looks at the ground.

"Is my boyfriend, Drew, jelous that I talked to another boy?" I ask jokingly. He gives me a half smile. 

"Look." Our eyes connect. "You are my boyfriend, and I am your girlfriend. And I would never cheat on you with another guy because... because... beacuseireallylikeyouand-" I ramble on. My words are cut short by Drew's lips to mine. I stumble back a step, not expecting that reaction. Drew steadys me with his hands, not breaking the kiss.

"A'hem." Drew and I stop kissing, turning to face the voice. Oh shit.

"Um... Dee... Hi." I stutter. Not awkward.

"Dee we... we were just-" Drew starts.

"Stop. I dont really care. I just came to tell you guys it is time to head back to the hotel. April is waiting in the car."

"Ok." Drew and I say, not making eyes contact with each other.

We were about to head to the car when Dee stops this. "Oh. And don't worry. I won't mention this to the parents." Dee winks at us. Sigh. I love Dee.