Chapter Thirty Four

Chapter Thirty Four

The words. 'We know who tried to kill you.' echo in my head. I swear, I was about to pass out. I fall back into a swivel chair in the office.

"Wh... What?" I ask, my voice shaky and weak.

"We found out when you were riding." Mom says, wiping away tears. That would explain why mom said 'we know who.' She meant we know who tried to murder me.

"Who? Why?"

Everyone stands there in shock, GiGi is the one who speaks up. "It was... Um..." She looks down, then back up at me. "It was Kelly." It couldn't be her! We were show enemies, but she wouldn't try to kill me over it? Right?

"Wait... It can't be her." She got eliminated. She left after stadium."

This time Drew shakes his head. "I was there with my old riding team. I was just watching. I saw Kelly fall off. And I saw her... Um... At your cross country."

"Security cameras confirm she was there at the show after she got eliminated." Dee says sadly.

"How did they... Find out... It was her?" I ask.

Dee looks at me with a sympathetic face. "They caught her commiting the crime. A video company was filming one of the riders. They just barely caught her."

"How did she... How did she do it?" I was in shock.

"You know how you can course walk during other people's rides? You just have to stay out of their ways when they are coming towards you?" I nod at Dee, who was speaking now.

"Well she went on a course walk right before you rode. At the last fence, she 'accidently' poured an oily mixture that she had in a water jug on the ground in front of the jump. The jump judges didn't see her doing it though. Everyone was watching the rider, who was on the opposite side of the course. When Beau took off from the jump, you can tell in the videos that he slipped on something. The police checked the spot where he slipped. By the time they got there, the oil had dissolved into the ground." I nod. Everything was starting to make sense in a weird way. I only had one more question.

"Why would she do that!?" Tears were streaming down my face.

"Revenge. She tried to make you fail your ride before dressage, covering Beau in molasses. Remember?" GiGi looks at me. "When that didn't work, she got upset. When you were winning after dressage and stadium, she got angry. When she got eliminated after stadium, she got pissed. She found out that you would be the best junior eventing rider if you won by snooping in on our conversation. And when she found that out, I guess she had her motivation."

"That whack job is now in a juvenile detention center, where she belongs." April adds.

"Oh my god." That was all I could say.