Chapter Forty Two

Chapter Forty Two

On the final day of competition, the Novice divisions go before Training. That means I will be able to watch April's course. Since GiGi was eliminated in cross country yesterday, she will have to watch from the sidelines. 

As April makes her way into warmups, GiGi and I find a spot on the bleachers. Drew was sentenced by GiGi and I to get smoothies for us from the smoothie vendor. 

"How are you?" I make conversation with GiGi, casually watching the rider in the ring now.

"You know what, I am doing okay. I had some time to think about... things. I know what Danny and I need to work on on the cross country course. And I am happy it happened at a small mini event and not a recognized horse trials."

"Or at AECs." I add jokingly, making fun of myself. She laughs as well.

"Here ya go, ladies." Drew hands me a strawberry smoothie and hands GiGi a blueberry one. He sits down next to me. We both thank him.

~

"Go April!" GiGi and I shout in sync as our friend trots Thor into the large outdoor stadium ring. We all cheer her on until she makes it safely over the final jump. And she did it, finishing on a double clear round. In the end, April's good dressage, great cross country, and fabulous stadium ended her up in third place overall in the Novice division. 

~

I ride the jumping course in my head as I tack up Faith. She stands as still as a statue when I tighten her girth. The course was quite difficult, consisting of a tight rollback turn from a triple bar to a skinny, a liverpool, and a triple combination. Those are the jumps I am most worried about on the course. Already in my show clothes, I quickly bridle Faith. I had on my black Grand Prix jumping jacket, a pair of light grey Animo breeches, and my favorite well worn Ariat tall boots.

"Ready, girl?" I ask Faith, walking her out of the stall. GiGi and April both ride their stadium at four thirty-ish later tonight.

Everyone is already in the jumping arena stands waiting for me as Dee gives me a leg up. We head over to the warm up ring. My round would be in just a few minutes.

~

"Oxer!" I shout in the crowded warm up ring as Faith canters over to the three foot oxer. Three, two, one, now! On now, Faith rocks back on her haunches and propels herself over the jump. I maintain my perfect equitation over the jump as we land on the other side. Even though this wasn't a hunter show, I like to show off my equitation. I like when people can't take their eyes off of me until I finish my course.

"Number 99, you're up next!" The woman in the bright yellow shirt calls to me. I slow Faith to a walk and amble over to the gate. Whatever happens in the jumping ring today doesn't matter. Our dressage ride made me so proud of Faith.

Since the stadium rides finish with first place, Matt rides right before me. He is my main competition at this show, but I cheer him on over every fence. When he finishes with a flawless double clear round, I know I have to ride perfectly.

"Good luck." Matt smiles at me as he leads his beautiful Thoroughbred out of the ring. 

~

Dee pats me on the knee before I calmly trot into the ring. I halt and wait for the jump judge to ring the bell. When he does, I give him a slight nod. With a little squeeze, Faith flys into her smooth, rocking horse canter. I keep her calm towards the first jump, a simple vertical with a yellow flower box. Faith flys over the jump, not even blinking an eye. We canter along, taking the bending line to the next jump, the liverpool. With a tap on tbe shoulder with my crop, Faith flies over the jump. Two down, eight to go. I turn Faith left to the next jump, a triple bar. With this specific jump, you want to get as close to it as possible before taking off. When Faith sees the jump, she tries to speed up. Gently, I pull back on the reins, making her keep the same pace. At the perfect moment, Faith takes off. I guide my gloved hands along her neck, giving her enough rein to stretch her body out over the jump. With an opening rein, I sharply turn Faith towards the tall, daunting skinny fence. My horse wavers on the line to the jump, but I keep my leg strongly on her. She takes off a stride too early, slightly knocking me off balance, but it doesn't faze me. We keep on galloping towards the next obstacle. I expect to hear the skinny rail to drop behind us, but it doesn't. Good. The next three jumps fly by with ease. It was down to the last three fences, a triple combination. This one was tricky. A large oxer with one stride to a slightly smaller vertical, and finally, two strides to the towering roll top. "Come on girl." I loosen my reins and give Faith a tap with my crop. She flys over the oxer and takes one stride to the vertical. With her ears perked forwards, we head to the final jump on course. I give her a big nudge with my leg as we fly over the giant jump. The crowd errupts into cheers of applaud.

Yes! That's all I could think as I slow Faith to a walk and lead her out of the gait. I give her a giant hug. We had a double clear round. That means we maintained our first place stand!

~

"Awesome!" GiGi and April hug me the second I get out of the ring. Drew gives me a high five, and mom smiles at me. 

"I knew you could do it." Dee says proudly, patting my sweaty mare on the shoulder.

"Awesome round!" Matt shouts to me. He was sitting attop his horse still, waiting for my round. I shout a thanks back to him.

Victory gallop and then pictures." Dee says to me. Pictures? I must have looked confused because Dee tells me, "You are the Lowest Scoring and Grand Champion Training rider out of the entire level." Everyone smiles at me. OMG!!

~

Grinning from ear to ear, Faith and I lead the victory gallop around the stadium ring, followed close behind by Matt. A long blue ribbon is pinned to Faith's bridle, flapping in the wind. The crowd cheers loudly as we make our way around the arena. Tears prick my eyes and I pat Faith on the shoulder. I was insanely proud of my underdog.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Just as a warning, there is only one more chapter in Comeback :(

Anyways, Matt is played by Zach Roerig from Vampire Diaires. Hope you enjoyed! (: