Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

My eyes flutter open and I am laying in a bed in the guest room at Dee's house. How did I get here?

Mom's black boot heels click as she walks over to me and sits on the bed next to me. We spend a few minutes in awkward silence before she finally says something.

"We were worried sick, Alison. We couldn't find you anywhere. José ended up finding you in the pasture a few hours ago, asleep." José is a barn hand who has worked at Pink Blossom for many years. Mom quiets down, obviously expecting me to talk to her. 

I keep quiet and stare blankly out the window. It was getting dark.

Mom continues, "Dee wants you spending the next few weeks with her. She knows it was a shock. She plans on retraining both Beau and you everyday." Sigh. I didn't even want to see Beau. I felt pity for him. He should have died, been at peace. But he didn't. Dad would have said that God kept him here for a reason. But I don't know.

"I'm sure you are wondering about your schooling." I blink and stare at Mom. I forgot about school. It already started but I spend the first weeks in the hospital. How could I go back? I couldn't walk up the stairs. I would be made fun of and ugh! I can't even think of it.

"We got homeschooling books for you. You will spend at least the next few months being homeschooled then you can decide if you want to go back or not. Mackenzie said that she could help you with that." Mackenzie was Dee's twenty two year old daughter. Years ago Dee was married and had a daughter. I wasn't born yet but I remember that they got a divorce right when I started riding. The man was an ass to Dee and Mackenzie. Mackenzie is studing to be a teacher and is going to college locally this year to help her mom at the farm.

"Does that sound good?" Mom breaks my thoughts and stares at me as if I'm a three year old. I roll my eyes and nod.

"Alison look at me. Please!" Mom's voice cracks and I know that she is on the verge of tears. "The last few weeks have been extremely tough in me. I have been trying to stay strong for you. You have to understand that. I can't think of what is going through your head, but please talk to me!" I look at her and make eye contact before turning around and staring back out of the window. Mom sighs loudly and sniffles before standing up and exiting the room, leaving the door slightly open.

~

Five minutes later Dee walks in with a paper and pen. She hands it to me and tells me to write down what I want from home before leaving again. I stare at the paper blankly and robotically write down necessities that I want.

'What I Need:', I start. 

'A few pairs of shorts, jeans, tee shirts, and sweatshirts 

Undergarments 

Socks 

Toothbrush and toothpaste 

Deodorant and a hair comb 

Sneakers' I stop and think before I continue to write again. 

'Three pairs of breeches 

Tall boots 

Paddock boots 

Half chaps'

Anything else I need I can just get later. I am not planning on going anywhere other than staying on the property. I already have my phone and my wallet which was in the back of my jeans pocket. The rest of my riding gear was in the barn. Dee should really have anything else that I need like shampoo and face soap.

~

Later that hour, I finally decide to leave the room and go to give Dee the list. I guide myself through the house and spot Mom and Dee sitting at the kitchen table, drinking coffee and talking. I hide myself in the living room and spy on their conversation. I know snooping around is wrong, by I couldn't help it.

"I don't know what to do anymore, Dee. Alison used to be such a bright and happy girl but after her father died, a light just snapped off. She always seems upset around me and the only joy to her anymore is horses. This accident just made it ten times worse than it was before." I see Mom put her face in her hands and Dee puts her hand on Mom's shoulder.

"That's why I think Ali needs to stay with me for a while." Dee looks into my moms red eyes and continues to speak. "She can get away from reality and think. She will have some one and one time with Beau. I plan on making her work with me." Mom slowly nods and rubs her eyes. I have never seen Mom this upset before. Even after Dad died she always tried to keep her emotions to herself. I feel bad that she thinks that about me but I guess that it is kinda true.

I force myself to walk in the room and hand Dee the list. I don't make eye contact with either of them. I then quickly rush out of the room and back into the guest room.

I lock the door and fall into the soft bed. Uncontrolable tears roll down my face. I can't think straight anymore. I'm pretty sure that if I keep going like this I will become depressed again. After Dad died I became depressed and stopped eating. I ignored the world and I wrote dozens of suicide notes over and over. I crumpled each one up after I wrote them. I thought suicide was the only way to go. The way that I could see Dad again and be happy. One day Mom found one of my suicide notes and forced me to go to therapy and talk to kids that were going through similar situations. Months later my life started healing a bit, but the hole in my heart was never fully healed.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

So yeah. Writers block sucks but I decided you know what!? F*ck it! So I stopped studying for my bio test and decided to try and write. With my inspirational Rascal Flatt's music on I actually tried to make a decent chapter. I know it was kind of sloppy but I promise you the next one will get better!

In this chapter you meet the other side of Ali. The one that, to be honest, I kind of relate to. This chapter was more focused on Ali's background and her relationship with her mother. I know, pretty depressing chapter, but I promise you that it will get better! You also get a brief intro to Mackenzie, Dee's college daughter and teacher in training.

If you want more chapters you must fan, vote, comment, and send your requests to the North Pole. So that means if you want some more chapters of Ali, Beau, and riding, you must do as I say. >:D Mwahaha I feel evil. EDITED comment any mistakes thanks(: