Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Just as the car pulls to a stop at the large stone barn of Pink Blossom Farms, I jump out. "I will be over at Dee's. She wants me and the other parents to have coffee with her before we leave." Mom says, pulling away. Coffee with Dee before shows was always a tradition.

Dee owns Pink Blossom, so she lives on the edge of the property. If there is ever an emergency at the farm, she can get there fast. The only light on in the barn glows behind the closed tack room door. That means someone was here already. Gosh. I think to myself, as I glance at my wristwatch. It is four in the morning and somebody else was here before me? At least I'm not the only crazy one. Since it was four, that meant in two hours, we would be leaving for AEC.

I slide open the large doors to the barn. I cannot see much in the dark aisles. I only can hear the greetings from a few horses. I might as well check who is in the tack room. I guide myself through the aisle to the tack room. I give the door a slight push open. Inside the light room, a blonde girl is facing away from the door, petting Lily, the barn cat, and eating a doughnut. Jill Evans.

Jill is fairly new to the barn, she came two years ago, whereas I started riding riding here five years ago. Once she came, we just clicked. Jill and I became insta bffs. We both shared the same birthday. October 31st a.k.a Halloween. This year, we were turning 14. Finally!

I grin, "Hey Jill."

She smiles back, "Sup Ali. Ready for the show?" 

I sigh  "No. I am more nervous than ever. But I know what will take the nerves away." My lips curl into a little smile 

"What?" 

"A piece of that doughnut you are eating." 

Jill sticks her tongue out at me while handing over the tasty snack. Just as I was about to take a bite, GiGi Smith, a rider at our barn, slams the door open. I jolt, I wasn't expecting her to come in like that. The doughnut falls to the ground, and Lily trots over to inspect it.

"NOOOOOOO!!!" Jill shreaks. 

"NOO!" GiGi mocks to herself quietly.

I roll my eyes, "Hello, GiGi."  

"Hello Ali. Hello Jill. Ready to lose?"

"Oh, please. You should have realized by now that Jill and I cream you at shows."  I retort.

"Whatever." GiGi picks up Lily and walks out the tack room. 

She was always more fierce on show day. I think to myself. GiGi has always been one of my biggest competition since I started riding. But I hate her for more than just being mean. Well, I guess you can call it envy. She has no real talent in riding, only an expensive push button horse. Her horse is named Danny, a 12 year old bay Thoroughbred.

"Whats it with her?" Jill complains. She then picks up the fallen doughnut and eats it 

"Jill!" I giggle, "that was on the ground!" 

She laughs, "I know."

Jill owns a 11 year old white Thoroughbred. A beauty with an attitude. Her name, Diva, fits her personality.

"Hey beautiful." I sneak a glance into Beau's stall. His deep brown eyes draw me into his stall. Beau's forelock, mane, and tail tightly braided with black bands. Perfect, I take a peek under his stable blanket to make sure he was clean. Beau's coat smells of the green apple shampoo that I bathed him in the day before, and his coat glistens "Wonderful." I put the blanket back over his withers and pick the little pieces of shavings out of his mane and tail.

"Hows Diva?" I call to Jill. 

"Awesome! Her coat is actually white!" She laughs to herself.

"That's awesome!" I answer back.

"Come'on pretty boy." I grab my lead rope from outside Beau's stall and clip it onto his leather show halter. I cluck, and Beau obeyly follows behind me. After Beau is clipped to the cross ties in the aisles, I take off his blanket, and replace it with his shipping blanket and shipping boots. I watch Jill and GiGi do the same.  

Jill and I chat for the next few minutes before we all load our horses. After that, I make sure everything I need is packed up in the trailer. 

I check my watch, The time shows five thirty, Dee better be getting here soon. We can't be late! This year, only Jill, GiGi, and I will be heading to AEC. Three other riders were supposed to come, but dropped out at the last minute. I guess they dropped out because of nerves. Just then, Dee, Mrs. Evan's, Mrs. Smith and Mom walk into the barn, all carrying cups of coffee. 

"Morning girls." Dee says to us.

"Mornin'" Jill responds 

"Good morning." GiGi answers 

"Morning, Dee." I say  

"Ready for the show?" 

Jill and GiGi both answer with a yes, but I keep quiet. I didn't want to admit it, but I am nervous. I have a foreboding something bad is going to happen.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

How do you guys think this chapter is? EDITED comment any mistakes. Thanks(: