Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty

Walking over to the score board by the judges stand, I cross my fingers. GiGi and April walk with me, both equally nervous to find out their scores and placings. I quietly push my way through the crowd and up to the score board. Eyeing up the list of Training level dressage scores, I hold my breath. I wasn't in fourth, I wasn't in third, and I wasn't in second, I was in first!!

"Oh my god, congrats!" GiGi and April give me a high five. My mouth hangs open in shock. Sure I knew I had to have placed well, but not in first!

"How did you guys do?" I curiously ask April and GiGi.

"I'm in second." GiGi says, looking content. "And I'm in fourth." April says, looking equally as proud. We all had incredible dressage rounds with well deserved scores!

~

I flatten my navy blue saddle pad on Faiths back and place my gorgeous Pessoa jumping saddle on top of it. Next, I put on her Five Point Breastplate and then cinch up the girth. After putting on her jumping boots, I exit her stall to get myself ready. Quickly, I throw on a pair black Equine Couture breeches, a navy Joules polo, and my black Tipperary cross country vest. Then, I put on my helmet and attach my cross country watch around my wrist. Knowing that I have to be out at cross country warm up soon, so I quickly pull on my dusty tall boots and fasten my spurs. Grabbing my crop, I head out of the tack room and back over to Faith.

To my surprise, Dee hold Faith, bridled and ready to go. "Let's get a move on." Dee gives me a leg up. "Meet you at warm ups." Dee says, before disappearing on a golf cart.

I speed walk Faith in the general direction of the warm ups. Riding my course over in my head, I remember that the parents, GiGi, April, and Drew are at the water complex, waiting for my round. Right after I ride, GiGi and April have to rush back to the barn and get themselves ready for their rides.

~

"Three, two, one. Have a great ride." The person at the start box says to me. "Thank you." I say as Faith leaps into a speeding gallop away from the start box.

First jump. I think to myself. It is a simple log jump. With her ears perked forwards, Faith flies over the jump with ease. I could tell she was happy. Loosening the reins, I let Faith gallop at a medium pace through the woods. The next jump, a brush fence, approaches quickly. Again, Faith doesn't even blink as we leap over the difficult jump.

Ten jumps go by quick and easy and we finally find ourselves at the water complex. A large crowd is gathered, catching as much cross country action as possible. Slipping my reins, Faith takes the long leap from the four foot bank drop into the dyed blue water. Taking large strides through the water, I get soaked from head to toe. I can't help but smile. We take one stride out of the water, then leap up and over a three foot log cabin. I hear the crowd whoop as Faith and I hurtle at a speeding gallop back into the woods.

One jump to go on the difficult cross country course. And let me tell you, they saved the best/hardest for last. The last fence was a tall and skinny corner fence. This certain obstacle has to be Faiths least favorite. Strides away from the corner, Faith starts to wiggle. I keep my leg on and give her a tap with the whip. Right before the jump, Faith pauses, but at the last second takes off. Not expecting Faiths reaction to the fence, I get thrown onto her neck. I hold my breath until

we land on the other side. When she lands safely, I regain my balance and continue on towards the finish flags. I take a quick glance at my watch, realizing that I have about ten seconds to make it past the finish flags or I would get time faults.

"Shit!" I say to myself. The finish flags are still about one hundred meters away! I give Faith a big squeeze with my legs. She takes off at a fullout gallop towards the finish flags. We make it, with literally a second to spare. That time was too close for comfort.