XIII

click

A small flame flickered at the top of Masky's lighter as he pulled a cigarette to his lips. Taking a drag, the room filled with the scent of smoke which you crinkled your nose to. Couldn't he do this somewhere else? You sighed and looked up at him with a glare, not that he could see it since he was laying down though. As he let out another puff of smoke, you grew very tempted to tell him off, test how far your immunity would go. But was that a good idea? Probably not. Even if he supposedly couldn't physically hurt you, you didn't exactly feel like being yelled at.

Looking over at Sadie, you saw that she was sitting against the wall with her legs pulled to her chest, her head resting on her knees with a bored expression. Her dark hair fell around her shoulders and concealed most of her features, while the bruises scattered upon her skin only accentuated her pale complexion.

You took in a deep breath as you looked away, only to choke on the smoke-filled air. You coughed, an annoyed expression on your face as Sadie looked to you with concern. You quickly caught your breath before sending another unnoticed glare up at Masky.

Huffing, you snapped. "Could you not do that here?" You spat with perhaps a bit more aggression than you had intended. The now unmasked man slowly sat up and stared down at you. His hair was a dark brown and his skin was quite pale, only bringing attention to the dark circles around his cold eyes. And then there was the cigarette that was held between his parted lips that were now pulled down into an angry frown. His fists were noticeably balled until he stood up and crouched down in front of you.

His face only a little over a foot away, he took his cigarette away from his mouth and calmly blew the smoke into your face. You slammed your eyes shut as you tried to swat away the smoke. What a prick. Masky stood back up and sat on the edge of his bed with a scowl.

"You're lucky I can't hurt you. Don't test your damn luck though." His gaze drifted down to Sadie before he looked back to you and held up the cigarette. "Wouldn't be too happy if I put this out on her, would ya?"

You glanced at Sadie before shaking your head. As much of a jerk this man was, you'd have to be careful around him. Though he was holding back from landing a punch to your face, he could do whatever he wanted to Sadie, and there wasn't much you could do about it. You'd protect her as best as you could, even if that meant obeying him.

Masky snickered in amusement before laying back down and continuing to smoke as if he had never even heard your protests. You shook your head and stared down at the floor silently. There wasn't much you could do other than pout at his rudeness, but letting him know how much he bothered you wasn't something you wanted to do. That would unfortunately most likely just motivate him.

As you sat staring at nothing in particular, your thoughts drifted to the other members of the mansion. Jeff and Jack. Jeff was known for violence just as Masky was, while Jack was rather quiet, similar to Hoodie in that aspect, though he had proved to have quite a temper. They were all very different from each other, but the few things they had in common were enough cause for you to see them as nothing more than monsters. They were serial killers, people who stole the lives of people who didn't deserve to die. Like your group. While the outcome of this little game of theirs was unclear, you doubted that the entirety of your group would make it out alive, as horrifying of a thought that was.

You shook your head. No, you have to get them all out. This was your fault, and you'd make sure that they survived.

With a sigh, you decided to use the room's current silence to plan. Now that Hoodie was gone, perhaps you had a better chance of escaping. After all, Masky did seem to be quite impulsive. Maybe you could use that to your advantage. You could bait him one way while you ran the other, and this way you'd probably be able to take Sadie with you. Now you just had to hope that Masky would leave so that you could talk to her about it. You'd probably still need a weapon though, just in case you happened to run into any of them. But could you even fight your way out if you had a weapon? Probably not. These guys had experience while you only had a few days of training. But even if you couldn't beat them in a fight, you could probably distract them long enough for Sadie to slip by and run. Then you'd just have to hope that she'd get away.

Even then, that was probably wishful thinking. You could die if that went wrong, and so could Sadie. Was that a risk you were willing to take? No, but you had to. Escaping was your only chance of saving everyone. So even if it was extremely risky, you'd just have to do it.

Soon enough your wish of Masky leaving was surprisingly granted. He sat up with a sigh before trudging out of the room, slamming the door shut, and locking it. You waited for a minute before turning to Sadie,

"We need to get out of here."

She relaxed a bit and nodded, "Got a plan?"

"Sorta, there's a lot of things that could go wrong, but I think it's worth a shot. It's better than just sitting here and rotting."

Sadie frowned, obviously quite nervous. She knew what her captor was capable of and it was understandable as to why she'd be hesitant to go against him. But what other choice did they have? Wait to be told to kill each other and slowly go mad? That wasn't going to happen, that wasn't even an option. They at least had to try. "Okay, what do you have in mind?"

And so you began explaining your plan to Sadie, which she added to when necessary. She had caught onto the fact that Masky used his unlocked closet to store his weapons. She also told you that she had tried to fight him and run before, but that didn't end well. So it was decided that you'd wait until he left to strike. Once he was gone, you and Sadie would each grab a weapon and break out of the room, and since Sadie luckily knew how to pick locks, that wouldn't be such a difficult task. From there, instead of running, you'd hide. The clothing room Hoodie had brought you to earlier was a perfect place to hide, and peer out of based on the room's position in the house. After waiting for a while and seeing which direction your captors went, you both would finally leave the mansion and run in the opposite direction.

It was a good plan, but would it work? Well, you'd just have to see. You had to admit that you were very nervous though. Both because you had no idea when Hoodie would be coming back, and because you had a good idea of what would happen if you and Sadie got caught. You knew Masky wouldn't torture you, but Hoodie would. You had already experienced that once when you had only been defiant. But an escape attempt? You had no idea what he'd do to you then, and you certainly didn't want to find out. Then there was Sadie. Masky had already layered bruises upon bruises on her skin, if you got caught you didn't doubt that she'd end up with a broken bone, or bones.

Masky was impulsive. And while that would aid your escape attempt, it could also leave Sadie half dead and miserable. If he got ahold of her he'd be so blinded by rage, he wouldn't even consider the fact that her being injured would lessen his odds of winning. He'd only punch, and punch, and kick until she was unmoving on the floor. The very thought already brought you so much pain, if she got badly injured or ended up dead, you knew you wouldn't be able to live with yourself.

Taking in a deep breath, you forcefully calmed your nerves. It'd be fine. It was probably your best chance of successfully getting out. Having another chance like this was unlikely, and so you'd have to take it.

CLICK

SLAM

Cutting your planning time short was none other than Masky flinging the door open.

You frowned and looked up at him, great.

4.3 pages · 1,527 words