XXXVIII

Beer. Brown, pungent, and not containing a whole lot of alcohol. It didn't even taste good yet both you and Jeff were guzzling down bottle after bottle. It was a cheap brand from what you could tell. You had no idea if they got paid one way or another, but it was obvious any money that Jeff had went towards his drinking. The man had at least four twelve-packs in the fridge and a bunch of different spirits stored in a cupboard, and that was after sacrificing half of it to this two-person drinking party.

His tolerance didn't seem very high but that certainly didn't dissuade him from chugging three more bottles, and who knows how much he'd drunk earlier. You on the other hand had decided to be more mindful. You didn't want to end up falling apart again, especially in front of him. With the way Jeff was, any sign of weakness was a free pass for him to break you down even more. You didn't think you could deal with crying again today.

Nonetheless, you still had a warm buzz and you couldn't do much more than focus on the present. You felt relaxed and drowsy, just sinking back into the couch and mindlessly watching the glowing screen all the while Jeff sat back and watched.

He hadn't sobered up one bit, in fact, he'd only gotten more drunk. He was gone, but in his eyes was a slight smile that you couldn't miss.

It wasn't long before your eyelids grew heavy and your vision became blurry, relaxation fully setting in.

Light clanging of pots and pans woke you up as well as the blinding light that accompanied the morning. You groaned in discomfort and cracked open your eyes. It burned. A headache immediately blossomed in your skull. Everything hurt and sitting up only made it worse.

Gulping made you aware of how dry your mouth was. Regret washed over you like a snowstorm, sticking to every part of you and making it ache. Not to mention you were cold. There was no blanket in sight and tee shirts weren't really known for their heat-trapping qualities.

You'd change into something warmer later, but right now all you were set on was getting a glass of water.

You sighed and narrowed your eyes as you pushed yourself up. Your legs of course were as stiff as ever and even had a wobble to them. Luckily walking was still manageable though your balance was definitely very impaired.

Trudging over to the kitchen you caught sight of who had decided to make something complicated, and loud, for breakfast. It was Masky of course.

A pan sat atop the stove which he was sprinkling various ingredients onto. Laying on the counters around him were eggs, a spatula, cheese, and a few other things. Whatever egg-related thing he was making smelled very good, not that you had much of an appetite. In fact, the mere thought of eating made you nauseous.

You narrowed your eyes a bit as you watched before remembering your goal and opening the fridge.

The fridge was actually well-stocked, but you could guess you had Masky to mainly thank for that. The others didn't really seem like the cooking types. All you'd seen Jeff eat was junk food, Jack ate humans, and Hoodie seemed to mostly rely on sandwiches for his nutrition.

On the bottom shelf of the fridge sat a good twelve bottles of water. Sighing in relief, you grabbed one and twisted it open before gulping down the cold liquid. You'd never appreciated water so much before. It never tasted quite the same when you weren't dehydrated.

Bringing it down from your lips you wiped your mouth off before glancing back to Masky who had evidently decided to watch you. You felt your face grow hot as you blinked. Though he was wearing a mask, you could still feel the look of confusion beneath it.

"Rough night huh?" He hummed, crossing his arms in a teasingly serious manner.

You could assume he'd seen you and Jeff passed out on the couch.

Eye wide with embarrassment you only shrugged.

He shook his head a bit at this, "So how'd he manage to loop you into drinking with him?"

He only received another shrug, but when silence followed that you mumbled, "it's uh... a long story." It really wasn't, but you didn't feel like telling him you'd been pinned to a wall before being dragged to the couch by Jeff.

Masky gave a curt nod before turning back to the stove. "Well, I'm making omelets if you want one."

Your eyes were as wide as saucers at this point. Without even being promoted he was offering you food? You were shocked, to say the least. Had he actually warmed up to you?

In the midst of your spiraling thoughts you nodded, "That'd be great, thanks." After thinking more about it for a moment you added, "But uh, could you put it in the fridge for now? I'm not really hungry."

A reheated home-cooked meal was definitely better than anything you could scrounge around for later.

Masky nodded in agreement as he then flipped the one he had already been working on. Your eyes lingered on him, specifically his hands, as he worked. He was so careful and precise with his cooking, it was impressive.

You gulped only to be reminded by your dry throat of the reason you'd come to the kitchen in the first place. Bringing the water back to your lips you sipped a bit more before going ahead and drinking the rest.

You tossed the empty bottle into the recycling bin before deciding to head back upstairs.

Walking past the living room you saw Jeff still sprawled out on the couch, though he looked to be waking up. A groan left him as he spread his arms and stretched. He didn't appear to be much of a morning person.

Sometime in the middle of the night, he'd apparently taken off his hoodie as he now only wore a black band tee shirt. The man had been pretty consistent with his outfits as you now realized you'd never seen his arms before. Scars of all kinds were layered upon his skin. Burn scars, knife slashes, and what even looked like a scar from a bullet. He already had a fair amount of visible scars with his hoodie on, but this discovery proved he was more than you could even imagine.

After witnessing him get shot you had no clue what the rules of them magically regenerating was, and this sight only made you more confused. Yet at the same time, you felt a tinge of sympathy. There were so many. With his rough and just plain mean exterior, he obviously had skyscraper-tall walls made of steel up, but now you knew why.

Of course from your online research, you had a basic idea of what these people had gone through, but Jeff's story obviously hadn't covered half of it.

You weren't given any more time to think before Jeff sat up and caught you staring.

And before he could even speak the front door opened.

The two of you immediately looked to the door only you seemed a lot more excited to see who it was.

It was Hoodie. He was back.