Masky Ending

———

PLAYLIST

——

Reader Recommendations

You're Terrific by LoudFoxCult

Warm home cooked meals with savory and sweet scents that wafted through the air. Thrown out like a carrot beneath a cage awaiting a rabbit to leap between its jaws.

Thankfully it seemed that Tim offering you his food wasn't a trap after all. It was obvious to anyone that saw you eyeing up his food that you loved his cooking, and it was even more obvious to Tim himself. After the first few times of you strolling into his kitchen and staring at whatever was atop the stove he started offering you his food more. More often than not he made enough for leftovers, and rather than storing it in the fridge he'd now usually give it to you.

As days passed of you periodically showing up to see if he happened to be cooking anything, out of the blue he decided to just wake you up for breakfast.

That was the turning point that had you two actually start conversing. Before it was just rare bits of small talk, but now that you could actually hold conversations a new door had opened. Tim started being less short tempered with you and you no longer shook under his gaze, which definitely helped.

After breakfast when you found yourself without much to do, more and more you ended up sticking with Tim. Whether he went outside or to the couch you'd follow. He wasn't so bad anymore. He seemed a lot more calm now that he wasn't so stressed. Now you'd even dare to say you found his presence nice.

It was such a strange thing to feel. To feel comfortable and even sometimes happy around the people that had ruined your life. You had forced yourself to just stop thinking about it a long time ago, to try and forgive both them and yourself. It couldn't be one or the other. You knew you were just like them now. It still hurt, but sometimes acceptance is the only thing that can soothe the ache of guilt.

Tim had never been nice to you before, not even once, but you both had warmed up to eachother. From eating dinner together to sitting on the porch in calm silence, you two were never apart for long.

The porch was equipped with two rocking chairs with a small table between them. Tim always sat in the right chair while the left was open to whoever wanted to fill it. The chairs didn't have cushions but the seats were made well enough to not be uncomfortable. The wood was dark and smooth to the touch. They were clearly old but they still had their functioning youth.

You looked to your left with a slight smile. The sun had begun to set about ten minutes ago but neither you nor Tim had moved from your spots. Orange poured down from the sky onto the forest as if flames were catching on every green leaf. The light wind had a cool chill to it and blew the smoke swirling from Tim's cigarette away from the porch. His dark eyes were about as calm as you'd seen them and his lips held a slight curl.

Tim took in a last drag before putting out his cigarette on the nearby tray. He suddenly sat up before looking to you, "You up for a walk?"

Surprise flashed in your eyes before your smile grew, "Yeah, sure."

Tim stood up from the chair and stretched a bit before stepping off the porch. You quickly hurried after as he headed into the forest. Leaves crunched under your boots with every step. The ground was soft from last night's rain and the air still held a tinge of moisture. Tall trees surrounded the two of you and the forest only seemed to get denser the further you were led in. The sun was nearly down and the night was already making its appearance.