XIV

The rest of the day passed by fairly quickly, and so did the next. Masky hadn't left Sadie and you alone since the time when you finally got to discuss planning. Ever since then, if he left the room it was for no more than two minutes, which you couldn't exactly do anything with. You had gotten no more training during the time you were stuck with Masky, but Sadie had. Whenever he took her out to train, you were left on the floor, your ankles and wrists tied together to prevent you from doing anything.

But you know you have to do something. It's day ten, meaning there are only four days until the first fights. You're running out of time, and you're coming to accept that even if Masky doesn't leave, you have to try and escape. Getting help is the only chance you have at saving your friends, and you have to make it out of this house and through the forest to do that. You have no idea how deep that forest is, but you doubt that it'll be a short walk to a nearby town. You need all the time you can get, which means you have to take some risks. While you can't afford to get caught, you also can't afford to just sit back and do nothing. You have to try.

So when you woke up on day ten to see Masky heading out the door, you knew it was time. You waited until you heard the click of the lock and his footsteps disappear down the hall to spring up and shake Sadie awake.

"Come on, we gotta go!"

She slowly cracked open her eyes and groggily sat up, it took a moment for the urgency to set in before her eyes widened and she nodded.

You held out a hand and helped pull her up to her feet, "he's gone, it's time." You further explained as you immediately headed to the closet that held several weapons. Sadie rubbed her eyes and yawned before rushing after you. You pulled open the door and scanned the closet's contents. Metal pipes and baseball bats laid in the corner while knives, axes, and clubs hung from the wall. You instinctively reached for a baseball bat and picked it up. Most of your training had been hand-to-hand combat, but Hoodie had taught you a little bit about how to fight with a bat. It wasn't much, but it would have to be good enough for now. You moved to the side to let Sadie get her choice, which turned out to be a club, though she also grabbed a knife.

"Got everything?" You asked as you looked around the room one last time.

She thought for a moment before nodding, "I think so," she took in a deep breath before moving towards the door, "let's go, we probably don't have much time."

You shut the closet and stood to the side as you watched her pick the lock on the door. Sadie had been quite rebellious when she was younger, from spray painting her high school's walls to breaking into places she wasn't allowed to be in. Her skills did end up coming in handy though.

click

She looked back at you with a proud grin before taking in another deep breath, "ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be," you replied with a small and very nervous smile.

With another nod, she slowly turned the doorknob and pushed open the door. Peering out, the hallway was empty, and no voices could be heard. You took a cautious step forward before taking Sadie's hand in yours and heading down the hall. It was now or never, and this chance was all you had. This was going to work, it had to.

Your heart pounded in your chest as you led her towards the storage room full of clothing. It wasn't exactly far away, but it was far enough to send a wave of panic through your senses every time a floorboard creaked under your weight. Sadie seemed to be just as nervous as you were, squeezing your hand every now and then for reassurance. This entire situation was the definition of terrifying, and it had been from the very beginning. Yet all of your fears and worries had only intensified knowing that this was most likely your one and only chance at escaping. If this didn't work, nothing would.