XXIII

I'm so sorry I completely forgot that I posted this on wattpad too- If you'd like more frequent updates since I'm extremely forgetful, please head over to my quotev (CurrentlyDecaying)

//

     You had managed to fall asleep again at some point that morning, but only a few hours passed before you were awoken again by Hoodie. You looked to him tiredly before you rubbed away the sleep in your eyes and sat up. Thoughts from last night drifted into your mind and a small frown formed on your lips.

Hoodie stayed kneeling as he studied you, his eyes scanning over the bandages for any sign of an issue.

"Are you feeling alright?"

You paused for a moment to focus on the ache in the back of your skull before shrugging. It hurt, there was no doubt about that, but as long as you didn't give it much thought it wasn't too bad. Most of your body was sore or bruised due to several different things, and it had been like that for most of your stay here. Maybe you were just getting used to it.

Hoodie sighed before standing up and offering you a hand. You blinked a bit as you stared at his outstretched hand. Little supposedly meaningless actions like these were getting more frequent, and though supposedly meaningless, they always made you wonder. And as you had learned so well, wondering could be dangerous.

Nonetheless, you took his hand and he helped you to your feet. Your balance had luckily returned, and you no longer felt dizzy. Your light sensitivity seemed to have greatly lessened as well, much to your relief. Your eyes burning whenever you walked past a lamp or even a window was very inconvenient. After Hoodie was sure you could stand by yourself, he let go of your hand and quickly put on his mask before heading out of the room.

You followed closely behind him, looking around absentmindedly as you went. There weren't any visual changes to be seen in the halls, but everything was a lot quieter. No voices or even footsteps other than your own and Hoodie's could be heard. It was just silent. Floorboards creaking beneath your shoes, the little cracks of the settling walls of the house, that was all that could be heard, and it was unnerving. As terrifying as a mansion full of serial killers sounded, that mansion seeming empty and as far as you could tell, silent, was somehow worse. That wasn't saying you'd be thankful to see Jeff anytime soon though.

Then again, with both Sadie and Emery gone, barely anyone had a reason to leave their rooms. You frowned deeply at the thought and your heart sank at the fact that you'd never see them again. They were gone. Emery because of Jade, and Sadie because of you. That was a fact you hated, and you knew you'd never forgive yourself for what you had done.

Soon enough you found yourself standing in the kitchen, and as your gaze moved to the table you remembered only a few days ago when Emery sat across from you. She was shaking in fear, and you doubted that ever stopped the entire time she was with Jack. He seemed to care little about her comfort, only caring that she did as he said. In the end, that didn't get him far though. If you're so scared that you can barely move it'd be hard to keep your own in a fight, let alone kill someone you were once close to.

You balled your fists and furrowed your brows. You wanted her back, you wanted them all back, even Jade. You wanted your old life back. The days you'd spend telling ghost stories to each other, because that's all they were, stories. Works of fiction. At least most of them were. Many myths and beings you and your group thought were real, but none had ever been as real as this. Sure, there was that one demon that targeted Jade, but with only a little salt it went away. This unfortunately wasn't something that could be warded off though. No one knows what Slenderman is, and as far as you know his workers were mostly human and unless they're killed there's nothing you can do to stop them. And unfortunately, you doubted you could take any of them in a fight.

So you were left here. Practically defenseless with your only hope of surviving being to murder your last remaining friend. Your life was pretty much over whether you won in the end or not. You weren't going to be let free at the end of this. No, you were either going to be killed or kept. Whatever that meant.

You finally sat down and looked to Hoodie who was in the process of making you what looked to be a bagel. You sighed a bit as your expression softened before you rubbed your eyes. Everything about this was terrible, especially your conflicted feelings. Feeling comfortable around a serial killer was something no one should ever feel. Yet you did. He had ruined your life, taught you how to fight, and then had you kill your friend. Yet you felt almost close to him, and it seemed like he might even feel the same.

Snapping you out of your thoughts, a plate was placed before you with a bagel as well as a butter knife and a choice of spreads. Either jam or cream cheese. You sighed softly at the thoughtfulness of this action and chose your favorite before layering it onto the bagel. As you took a bite you glanced back up at Hoodie who had returned to the kitchen to make himself something. He got out a carton of eggs as well as some butter spray and a frying pan.

After about five minutes he returned with a plate of scrambled eggs for himself and sat beside you. The mask came off and he soon began eating, completely unaware of your thoughts.

The rest of the day seemed to go by very slowly. The day was used for recovering so you weren't forced to return to training, thankfully. Though this just ended up making the day quite boring. There wasn't much else to do, so you had been brought to the couch to watch tv.

Both you and Hoodie stuck to silence the whole time, leaving the television the only source of sound other than the occasional sigh. This was certainly something you never saw yourself doing with him. Sitting on the couch, just calmly watching television. It was such a normal activity, but it now felt very strange.

The show Supernatural played on the screen as you tried to avoid thinking about the past and the movie nights you'd spend with your friends. With nothing much to do other than watch tv, you were left with time to think. But right now you really didn't want to think. Thinking was painful at this point, and right now you couldn't help but want to just forget. Yet you couldn't because you still had your end goal of making it out of this sick game alive. Even though you knew that freedom wouldn't come along with your victory. You weren't sure if making it through this was even worth it, but did that really matter anymore? The last fight would either end with your victory or your death. Either Jade or you would die, and you had finally accepted what you had to do.

Jade was going to die, and you were going to kill her. And you knew you couldn't even be mad at her anymore, she had killed Emery while you had killed Sadie. You were one and the same. Though a part of you wondered if you were even worse because, despite this, you still had every intention of ending her life. Even though you knew she was just following Jeff's orders. It wasn't her that wanted Emery dead, it was Jeff. And you were different. You could still think for yourself, and you knew that Jade had to die. You didn't even hate her, you couldn't, though a sick part of you wanted to see her dead, needed to see her dead, because once she was, this would all be over. Once she was gone you'd be the last one standing, the winner.

And you'd be alone.

4.1 pages · 1,411 words