XXXII

The dining room was completely silent other than the occasional 'clink' of Masky's fork hitting the side of his bowl. He had moved up his mask just enough to get access to his mouth, and from that you could see the beginnings of a beard growing from his jaw. Everyone that wore a mask didn't seem to like taking it off much.

You both were more or less ignoring each other, which was probably for the best. He kept his eyes down on his plate and you did the same, though you couldn't help but steal glances at him every once in a while. Now that your mind wasn't entirely focused on death, you could actually think about and come to terms with the fact that both he and Hoodie existed. They were from 'Marble Hornets,' and as far as their audience was concerned the two had just been actors along with their now most likely deceased costars.

It was so much more gruesome now that you knew the truth. Their 'friends' were all dead, some dying from each other and some dying at the hands of the men you lived with. It was strange and made almost no sense at all. Why had it been uploaded to the internet? And who had been the one to do it? Was it all the doing of their boss? You frowned knowing those were questions you'd probably never get the answer to. You doubted they'd want to relive much of their pasts, especially now that he prevented them from ever really moving past it.

Their boss, Slenderman, was a being you had yet to encounter. You'd met several of his underlings by now, but never him. A part of you wondered why, but the other with more common sense knew it was because there was no reason to. You were just a simple pawn in his game. And who knows what that game even was.

He seemed to enjoy control and power, and he definitely had a surplus of it. He was a powerful entity in it of himself, but he gained even more through his control of his workers. His proxies along with the creepypastas. He told them what to do and when. He had been the one who told them to ruin your life. He had been the one to allow them to toy with you and your friends. You hated him, but there was nothing you could do to make him pay. You knew that.

SRAPEEE

The sound of Masky's chair being pushed back as he stood ripped you out of your thoughts. Blinking out of your trance you looked up at him silently, but he didn't even spare you a glance as he simply walked over to the sink and rinsed his dishes. You sighed and just began eating again though your eyes trailed after him as he soon left the kitchen and headed for the front door.

Your appetite seemed to have vanished. You frowned down at the remaining half sandwich on the plate that you could no longer bring yourself to finish. Your hatred towards him made your stomach churn, and it definitely wasn't because of hunger. If anything, you felt like if you ate any more you'd wind up spilling your guts into a trashcan. And that was a situation you'd rather avoid. Pushing your chair back from the table you stood with your plate and walked over to the fridge to store it for later. The fridge wasn't all that full. There were some containers of Masky's leftovers along with some ingredients, but there were still spaces and even shelves left wide open. Based on how stocked their pantry was you were surprised their fridge wasn't the same. But since Masky was really the only one that frequently cooked, you supposed it made sense.

You closed the fridge before leaving the kitchen, stepping into the living room only to stop in your tracks. Across the room stood a man who wore an unnervingly proud smirk. Jeff.

"What? He's just letting ya walk around wherever the hell you want now?" He sneered, acting like he was offended though he was clearly just trying to get under your skin.

You only shrugged, watching him closely. Jeff was someone who enjoyed picking on others and purposely picking fights. He liked to piss people off, but you weren't about to give him the satisfaction.

He didn't seem to like your answer as his eyes narrowed and he stepped closer. "Too good to talk to me now, huh? Think you're all that just cause that fucker decided to keep ya around for some dumb shit reason?"

You shook your head as your frown grew with nervousness. Your guard was slowly raising. This definitely wasn't good. You had unintentionally provoked him, somehow, but that obviously wasn't a hard thing to accomplish.

"Still ain't gonna speak?" An amused smirk formed on his lips as he walked even closer. Now only the couch stood between you two. "Open your fuckin mouth, or I'll make you." You didn't want to know what he meant by that, and the second he took another step forward you made a run for it.

A cackle erupted from his throat as his footsteps thundered after you. Your eyes were wide with fear while you pumped your legs as hard as you could to race up the stairs and away from your pursuer. Opposite your fear was Jeff's clear enjoyment of this situation. He was having the time of his life chasing you like a hunter would his prey.

Jeff knew he couldn't kill you though, Hoodie would have his head for that. While he couldn't die, Hoodie could sure as hell make his life a nightmare. All he was planning to do was rough you up a bit, maybe even make you cry. Nothing too bad.

That wasn't even on your mind at the moment though. While you were aware of your supposed immunity from death, Jeff's reckless personality made you doubt whatever power Hoodie had over everyone. Jeff scared you.

Your legs took you as fast as they physically could up the stairs and down several halls until you reached Hoodie's room. Your lungs burned and your legs ached but your adrenaline kept you going as salvation was just within arm's length. Twisting the doorknob and yanking with nearly all your might, you flung open the door and ran inside, slamming the door behind you and hurriedly locking it.

Jeff who was only a second behind you banged on the door, laughing like this had all been a hilarious joke. "C'mon and open the door princess, you afraid a' me or somethin'?"

You just backed away from the door, retreating into the corner of the room. Wrapping your arms around yourself, you panted as panic slowly left your mind.

He continued to slam his fists on the door for another minute or so, but by now you had figured out he wasn't actually going to break in.

With a final snicker, he seemed to almost purr, "don't think you can hide from me forever." And with that he walked away, the floorboards creaking under his weight as assurance.

You waited for a bit as your breathing fully calmed before crawling forward and dragging over the blanket and pillow Hoodie had given you. You draped the blanket over yourself and hugged the pillow to your chest, scooting back into the safety of the corner.

Hoodie had only been gone for a day and everything already felt like it was falling apart. You felt alone more than ever now. You really missed him.

3.6 pages · 1,234 words