XXVIII

The needle was jabbed through your skin several more times before Jack was done. You were holding back tears, your teeth digging into your lip painfully hard. Once that dreadful experience was over, the stray blood was wiped away before saline was poured over the wound to disinfect it, which you were thankful to find didn't sting much. A long piece of white gauze was gently placed over the wound which was soon topped with bandages. With a final sigh, Jack nodded before looking to Hoodie.

"She's fine for now. The stitches will need to be taken out in about a week though, so remember to bring her back."

Hoodie seemed fairly pleased with this and nodded in agreement before moving to your side. "You're good to walk, right?"

You only gave a small shrug before scooting to the edge of the table and carefully hopping off. Hoodie watched you intently, looking very prepared to catch you if he needed, but luckily he didn't, and you could indeed walk.

With your arms slightly outstretched to help you keep your balance, you rolled your ankles to rid them of the current numb feeling they had. You sighed softly before looking up at Hoodie who now seemed a bit more relaxed. He nodded at you before heading for the stairs, making sure to walk at a slower pace so that you could easily catch up.

As you went to follow him, your eyes landed on Jack for a final moment. He seemed as calm as usual, with his arms now crossed and his head slightly tilted as he watched you leave. It was hard to tell what he was thinking since his mask blocked out most everything. Not once had he taken it off, and though the man definitely creeped you out, you couldn't help but wonder what he looked like beneath the circle of navy blue.

You quickly looked away before speed walking after Hoodie. You doubted you were going to see Jack's face for a very long time, if ever. Sure there were depictions of his face on the internet, but you somehow doubted that the fan art was at all accurate. With a sigh, you shook your head and focused back on the man you were currently following, Hoodie.

Out of habit, you walked a good few steps behind him, giving you a very flattering view of his broad shoulders that his hoodie didn't do much to hide the shape of. While his sweater was on the looser side, it was easy enough to see the outline of his strong arms and the indents his shoulder blades created. Blush made its way to your cheeks as your mind brought you back to the hug you recently shared with him. Coming from Jack's rather cold basement, the memories of how warm Hoodie was almost made you crave the feeling. You looked away from his back as you stuffed your hands in your pockets. Maybe you were just cold, after all, a blanket would have the same effect.

Soon enough you found yourself no longer shivering as you were finally away from the basement and headed towards the kitchen. That's when Hoodie decided to stop in his tracks. And since your gaze was no longer stapled to his back, you nearly ran face-first into him. You blinked yourself out of your thoughts and looked up at him in question.

Hoodie's expression looked relaxed and a hint of amusement tugged his lips up into a barely noticeable smile, but you caught it, and it made your heart beat even louder in your chest. Though that was probably partly because it was clear that he had seen you almost face-plant into his back. Had you ever seen him smile before? You couldn't recall the answer, but you knew that the expression was one he didn't show often.

"Are you hungry?" Hoodie asked, motioning towards the kitchen as he tilted his head a bit.

While you should probably eat, your appetite hadn't yet repaired itself. You doubted you'd be able to swallow down more than a couple of bites of anything before feeling sick, and throwing up wasn't exactly pleasant. You shook your head a bit and Hoodie sighed, though he seemed to understand why you didn't want to eat. During your time here, he had always been fairly considerate. Whenever you got injured he gave you a recovery period, though he was the one who had caused you harm more than a couple of times.

As nice as his recent behavior had been, you couldn't just forget about the past. This had all just been a sick game, something to provide them with entertainment. And when you didn't cooperate he punished you. He had cut you, and you had the scars to remind you. He had locked you in a blindingly bright white room and blasted music so loud that you couldn't hear your own thoughts. He was your torturer. You weren't supposed to think fondly of him, and though you knew how horrible he had been and could be, you couldn't even bring yourself to be angry. You didn't hate him, and you hadn't for a long time.

You didn't know why, but now that it was all over and you no longer had to fight, those suppressed feelings were becoming clearer, and they scared you.

After everything, how on earth could you get friendly with these people? While Hoodie was definitely the nicest of the bunch, he was still one of them.

Seeing your frown, Hoodie said nothing more and headed for the stairs. You hesitated for only a moment before following him. Did the past even matter anymore though? Your chances of escaping were pretty much nonexistent and it was extremely unlikely that Hoodie was just going to let you go.

You sighed and kept your gaze down as you went. You were here now, and at this point you just had to accept that.

3.1 pages · 1,033 words