XXXIV

You kept your eyes downcast at the floor. You were still quite shaky and nervous even as Jack brought you down to the kitchen. Your throat was sore despite no harm actually being caused to it, and your legs ached. It had just been a dream, yet it still felt real and like you had just been attacked by your friends. And for all you knew, maybe you had. Nothing in this realm made any coherent sense, so why couldn't the ghosts of your friends come back to torture you? That thought only made you sadder though. You'd hope that they'd understand why you had done what you did. It wasn't like they hadn't tried to do the same to you.

Yet you knew you probably wouldn't be happy to be murdered by one of your friends either.

Soon enough you found yourself standing in the kitchen and Jack led you over to the table. Slowly looking up, you unexpectedly made eye contact with Masky. Of course he had to be cooking right now.

Jack looked at him and sighed a bit, but then he had an idea. "...Would you mind making her some tea?"

Masky replied with a scoff, "Yeah, I would. Why would I make tea for her?"

Sighing in annoyance, Jack gestured to the hand you refused to let go of, "you're already in the kitchen, why not?"

Masky glanced at your hands and rolled his eyes before turning back to the stove. "And? Do it yourself."

"Fine, but don't expect me to help you the next time you're bleeding out."

To this Masky grumbled and sent a glare your way, "Fine, I'll make the damn tea."

You frowned and looked down at the table, giving Jack's hand a small squeeze as he sat beside you.

"So what happened?" He asked with the tilt of his head.

You shrugged and muttered, "Nightmare..."

"About what?"

Your frown deepened at this as you shook your head, "I don't want to talk about it..."

He sighed but accepted your answer, offering a little squeeze to your hand.

Suddenly the microwave loudly beeped and Masky took a mug out of it. Jack turned and looked at him with a huff.

Masky paused and stared back at him, "What? Did you expect me to use the kettle?"

Jack just shook his head in what almost looked like disappointment.

Masky turned back around in annoyance before rummaging through a cabinet and eventually taking out a box of tea. He then pulled out a packet and dropped it into the hot water before dumping in a couple of spoonfuls of sugar. Once stirred, he brought it over to you.

"Here. It's peppermint."

You nodded in thanks, breathing in deeply to take in its minty scent. The smell alone was relaxing enough to momentarily ease your nerves. You finally released Jack's hand and wrapped your own around the mug. The contents inside made the porcelain warm, heating your hands as you brought it to your lips and took a sip. The tea was sweet, but not overpoweringly so. It still allowed the minty flavor to shine through and complimented it nicely.

As you enjoyed the tea Masky had begrudgingly made for you he returned to the kitchen to finish up what looked like french toast. Eggs, cinnamon bread, butter, milk, and sugar were laid out beside the stove, and on it was a frying pan. He grabbed the spatula and carefully flipped the toast. Like before, the food looked amazing. After another minute he turned it over again before putting it onto a separate plate and starting on another one.

During this process he glanced at you for a moment, unintentionally forming eye contact. The both of you paused until a sigh was heard.

"Are you hungry?" Masky asked, not looking particularly excited to share his food. You were definitely shocked at his offer, and so was Jack, but that didn't stop you from nodding eagerly. You couldn't remember the last time you'd eaten an actual cooked meal, let alone french toast. Most of what you ate consisted of microwavable goods or a sandwich, there wasn't much variety.

With a nod, he carried the plate over and handed it to you, "want syrup?"

You nodded a bit as you gratefully took the plate and set it down in front of you. It was the most appetizing piece of toast you'd ever seen, and your mouth was practically watering at the sight. While you stared at the plate Masky went and got you the syrup as well as some silverware. He gave everything to you before without another word returning to the stove.

Jack watched you with an amused expression, not that you could see it. While he wasn't able to eat the food Masky made, he knew that according to most people's standards it was very good. He was still genuinely surprised that he was sharing though. Even if Jack was a human he doubted he'd get the pleasure of tasting his cooking. He was pretty stingy. Nonetheless, seeing you so excited to eat Masky's french toast was almost endearing.

Once you had everything you needed you poured the syrup onto the toast before digging in. As expected, it was restaurant quality, as if you'd just paid a hundred dollars to eat some breakfast. It was incredible.

You devoured it all soon enough, sighing softly in satisfaction. You were very glad Masky finally decided to share. It was strange behavior coming from him, but you definitely didn't mind. It was a nice change.

Taking another sip of the tea you glanced at Jack. The eyes of his mask met with yours and only then did you realize he had been watching you that entire time. Your face reddened only slightly as you slowly set down the mug.

Now that you had unknowingly calmed down, the strangeness of the situation finally set it. Jack, the doctor of the house that had maybe said a few words to you at most, had come to comfort you when you had a nightmare. He'd even held your hand, and you'd held his. Then Masky, the usually very irritable man who seemed to mostly avoid you, had made you tea and given you breakfast. It was only around eight in the morning and the day was already off to a very odd start.

Now that they no longer wanted to kill you, they were almost being nice. Everyone other than Jeff of course. Jeff hadn't changed, and you really didn't think he ever would.

You took in a breath before looking to Jack again, "...thank you for this."

"No problem." He nodded with a shrug, "I just happened to hear you when I was heading back down to the basement." Enhanced hearing had to be another perk of being a demon since the basement was nowhere near your room. Just another thing in this realm that made no sense.

Silence fell back over the room as you only nodded a bit before sipping on more of the tea. Soon enough Masky walked back over but this time with food for himself. Three slices of french toast as well as some coffee. Black coffee to be specific. He only aided the silence as he quietly ate.

Evidently, no one here was a fan of talking, not that you minded. Silence was better than uncomfortable small talk anyhow.