XXXI

"Yes actually." You huffed, climbing down from the chair and making your way over to Jack who was currently holding your book hostage.

He just hummed as he watched you walk over, but as you reached to grab it he pulled it away. "Not going to thank me?"

"I wasn't planning on it since you refused to help when I asked earlier." You replied with a frown. He was being even more difficult than usual today, and it was already getting on your nerves.

He simply tilted his head at this, "Oh? But I had a change of heart, and so I got down your book for you..." he held back out the book for you to take again, but just as you tried to snatch it he yanked it back away, "So I think I deserve a thank you." You could feel the smirk on his lips at this point.

Huffing once more, you muttered a small, "thank you," before reaching for the book which to your relief he actually let you have this time.

He hummed in content, "You're welcome."

You looked the book over and lined the side with your finger. You could finally hold it in your hands and relive the story you loved so much. Though as you glanced at Jack, you figured it might be best to relocate before beginning it.

The sitting area you had found earlier seemed nice enough, and so after sparing Jack one last look, you ventured back into the shelves. With the number of walls of books there were, it was harder to find again than you had expected. This place really was like a maze, but eventually, you managed to find it and you let out a sigh of relief.

You sat down at a table in the corner, three other empty chairs on each side of it. The library appeared to be vacant other than Jack. Now that you thought about it though, it made sense. Jeff and Masky didn't really seem like the reading type. And while Jack didn't have eyes, he still seemed like he read, and that he did since he could somehow still see. All forms of logic had gone out the window at this point, there was no longer any point in trying to make sense of the abnormalities within the forest. It was weird, it was perplexing, and overall, it was surreal. Yet slowly but surely you were accepting it. As much as you used to hate it here, this was your home now.

You shook your head with a slight frown as you opened your book and flipped it to the front page. As you read the enticing words that filled the paper, your mind formed it into something similar to a watchable movie. And soon enough all of the unpleasant thoughts in your mind faded away.

𓂂𐬹⊗☆☆☆⊗𐬹𓂂

Many hours passed and you hardly even realized it before you were over halfway done with the book. A yawn was what ended up making you take a break from your beloved book and only then did you notice how much you had read. You blinked in slight surprise before looking over to the clock that read: 4:46 pm. More time had passed than you thought, you ended up reading for over half of the day. You closed the book as you slowly stood up, finally feeling your stomach rumbling with hunger. It was probably a good idea to eat.

You sighed softly before heading back into the shelves and eventually finding yourself back by where Jack once sat. He had left at some point, much to your relief. Now finding yourself fully alone once more, you left the library and headed to the kitchen. You weren't sure what all they had that you could cook with, but you figured you'd come up with something eventually.

Though as you stepped into the kitchen, a genuinely surprising sight greeted you. It was Masky, and he was cooking. He didn't even notice you as you stopped in your tracks, evidently too caught up in what he was making to look up. A surprisingly nice smell wafted from a frying pan he seemed to be making a sauce in. Next to the stove sat several ingredients such as garlic, basil, butter, milk, and of course salt and pepper. Then beside that was a box of penne pasta. You were shocked yet admittedly impressed. You had never taken him for the cooking type, but he obviously knew what he was doing.

But then he turned down the stovetop with the sauce on it and finally looked up. Your eyes met with his and an awkward silence filled the kitchen.

A small annoyed huff was heard before he grumbled, "what?"

You blinked before sputtering, "n-nothing..." You strangely felt embarrassed.

Masky didn't seem to care and rolled his eyes, though you couldn't see it. "Then leave." With that, he turned back to the stove and poured the box of pasta into a pot of boiling water.

You frowned before completely disregarding his statement and walking into the kitchen. Since you doubted he'd be willing to share with you, you had to make your own food. Sifting through the pantry you found several things of microwave food, but the microwave was above the stove and you really didn't want to get in Masky's way.

You sighed at this and eventually just decided to make a sandwich. They always had at least a couple different kinds of lunch meat as well as peanut butter, jelly, and sometimes even Nutella. Sandwiches were obviously commonly eaten in this household. Getting out two slices of bread along with a plate and the needed silverware, you began making yourself a sandwich.

Once done, you glanced back at Masky who also seemed to be finishing up. He had gotten out a few bowls by now, one for himself and one for leftovers. He scooped some pasta into his bowl before topping it with the sauce he'd made. It honestly looked like a dish you'd find in a restaurant. It was clear he cooked a lot, though probably just for himself and maybe sometimes Hoodie.

You looked back down to your sandwich with a sigh before putting everything away and heading to the table to eat. You wished that it would be a fine idea to ask for him to share, especially since he had extra, but unfortunately, it was not. You hardly knew him aside from your previous watching of Marble Hornets and the horrible day you had to spend with him during training. And from that, you already knew he wasn't exactly easy to converse with, let alone ask for a favor.

So you just had to settle with a sandwich, which really wasn't that bad. You were fairly good at making sandwiches as long as you had the right materials, and luckily everything you needed had been here.

Meanwhile behind you in the kitchen, Masky was putting the pans in the sink and making sure everything was back in its place. Once satisfied, he got himself a glass of water from the fridge before grabbing his bowl and looking to the table you still sat at.

He narrowed his eyes with a frown. You. Of course, you had to be here, infringing on his precious alone time. Masky found everyone here, with the occasional exception of Hoodie, to be a pain. You were not excluded from that statement. You had tried to escape on his watch, and he wasn't going to forget that any time soon. Hoodie had scolded him for that later on which only pissed him off more. Masky was definitely one to hold a grudge. It was just too bad he knew he couldn't do anything about it. You were Hoodie's, and he wouldn't dare hurt you.

With a final sigh of irritation, he walked over to the table and sat across from you. Or rather, as far away from you as he could get.

You looked up at him post-bite of your sandwich.

What an awkward dinner this was going to be.

3.9 pages · 1,355 words